Menu
Five common traits of Chinese in a foreigner's eyes
Sep 16, 2007 01:54
  • BBQQ
Recently, a foreign friend released an article in which he concluded five commom traits of Chinese nationals:
No. 1 Curious
Whenever there is an accident around the streets, numerous bystanders are around the spot.
No.2 Highlight the "face"
Chinese attaches much importance to "the face" or respectability. The Chinese never want to lose faces. So it is rare to see that Chinese people are wiling to admit their mistakes.
No.3 ack the sense of punctuality
Chinese people are usually late either in an appointment, even the public buses are often late.
No.4 Value Friendship
Chinese people give high inportance to friendship. Sometimes, frienship is put above the "law and regulations".
No.5 Ambitious
Just like the country's robust economic growth, Chinese people's ambition continues rising. From little pupils to adullts, all its nationals have a strong sense of development and being competitive .
What do you think of these five traits? Are they true?
Sep 16, 2007 06:47
  • CORTEX
Is this ONE foreigner's view over ALL Chinese people important enough to discuss here?? Who the hell is he or she, or who the hell does he think he is?? In my opinion, what he or she said was just bullshit, that's my thought if you really want.
Sep 16, 2007 06:57
  • CARLOS
Well, putting a billion chinese people to one mold is.... bullshit, like You said, Cortex.
I only say almost ALL chinese people I have been in contact with have been friendly. So, maybe can say "chinese people are friendly". No point comment other parts of this thread, I think.
Sep 16, 2007 12:47
  • GRIZ326
Any visitor leaves a country with an impression. The impress may change visit to visit.

>>>No. 1 Curious ... Whenever there is an accident around the streets, numerous bystanders are around the spot.

This is true in most places I have been it is not uniquely Chinese.

>>>No.2 Highlight the "face" ... Chinese attaches much importance to "the face" or respectability.

I have heard this many, many times. I have never seen it in a way that I could recognize it. The only thing I have seen is that most Chinese people try to behave politely and with dignity - at least in their dealing with me.

>>>No.3 ack the sense of punctuality

I have not noticed this at all.... In my experience, this is utter nonsense. The writer must have had a girlfriend who took too much time powdering her nose. ;-)

>>>No.4 Value Friendship

This is something I tend to agree with...although I do not know about the part of putting friendship above the law. ...but I think most peoples value friendship, after all, the world is a lonely place without friends.

>>>No.5 Ambitious ... all its nationals have a strong sense of development and being competitive .

Ambition is certainly visible in the big cities. ...but this is not a trait of Chinese people, it is common to people all over the world when opportunity is available.

Heck...I'd bet you could start a gold rush any where in the world by putting a few big gold nuggets in a stream and making certain the discovery makes the TV news!!! :-)

The traits this visitor noticed - for the most part - are common to all peoples, although Chinese people do seem to be very friendly not only among themselves...but even with a traveler like me.

Sep 16, 2007 22:42
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Griz 326, I agree with you. Some of the above mentioned are not the unique traits of Chinese, but universally existed in most of human community, such as the traits of being ambitious, curious and friendly. Curiosity is human nature.Otherwise, the unknown mystery would have never been explored, an d there would have been no scientific progress and technogical innovation, no the development of human civilization.
Sep 17, 2007 01:03
You hit the nail on the head Griz, I couldn't have put it better.
Sep 18, 2007 21:39
  • ICEBLUE
"No.2 Highlight the "face"
Chinese attaches much importance to "the face" or respectability. The Chinese never want to lose faces. So it is rare to see that Chinese people are wiling to admit their mistakes.

For this moment, I can't agree. All humans have a certain degree of dignity. Yes, Chinese people do care much about fame and reputation, but not to the extent of rufusing admiting their own mistakes. That point is overstated.
Sep 19, 2007 00:10
  • LIONPOWER
These points for all human not only for Chinese people.
Sep 20, 2007 03:54
  • ICEBLUE
Lionpower,

Don't you think some of the five traits are prominently seen in Chinese people?

As Griz326said "Chinese people do seem to be very friendly not only among themselves...but even with a traveler like me."
Oct 7, 2007 19:15
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Griz is right on the money with that one.
Oct 7, 2007 20:41
  • JCNILE123
I like the cool attitude of Iceblue,
Cortex, well, I think the person that BBQQ refers to, was talking about her.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Five common traits of Chinese in a foreigner's eyes
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code