Menu
Five common traits of Chinese in a foreigner's eyes
Oct 12, 2007 17:05
GUEST40189 Hi. Re: this subject, you might find the discussions interesting in the audio podcasts that are offered at this Site: AtHomeinChina.com. Unfortunately, the Site has been blocked in China, even though the intention is very friendly and positive toward China.
Oct 13, 2007 01:50
  • WINDENERGY
You're right, honored Guest40189, this website is not accesible from my computer in China.
If the attention is very friendly and positive towards China, then, why in the world was is "blocked"?

Chinese friendship values helps outsiders (like me) to meet and be friendly with Chinese Nationals. Keeping their friendship and kind-heartedness is a different matter. Their attitudes and cultural bereavements makes friendship here a very unstable and unclear relationship.

__WINDENERGY__
Jul 16, 2008 13:22
GUEST31186 I totally disagree with No. 3. That's not what I have observed in China. How do you expect people in a highly competitive society lack sense of punctuality?

I kinda agree on the rest points, though
Jul 23, 2008 23:45
  • KRATERON
I think that the traits are just what make chinese people what they are today: efficient, friendly and admirable. Some of their habits are quite unusual for me(brazilian), but in general i think they found the best way of living.
Jul 25, 2008 03:30
  • SONIA1985
I also agree that the above mentioned are not the unique traits of Chinese, but universally existed in most of human community,i think different foreigner have different opinion on this topic,i have some foreign friend told me that they thought chinese man are rude,lot of chinese man beat their wives,,but to be frank,i never have friend who did so,and i never saw or heard any people around me did so except some news displayed....i think 1 tree didn;t equals to 1 forest...
Jul 26, 2008 00:21
  • LIONPOWER
" except some news displayed."
Also the base of these news not fair. Mostly they uses a drunk ed people as standard or a illiterate people in the country side, they treated as standard.
Media people used these to show law & orders in China.
Jul 26, 2008 02:40
  • SONIA1985
When we say traits of a nation,it is hard to sum up!
Aug 4, 2008 02:04
  • AL32
Well, I mean no disrespect to Chinese people, but that list seems kind of OK to me; those are five things that I also notice here in China. I would have stated them differently or in a different order maybe, but still, I don't see what is so wrong about someones view on a population. BBBQ said it, it's from a friend; so maybe not true and personal interpretation..and yes a very big one because talking about a whole country; so please don't freak out...this is not worst than many other topics discussed here; like what carrer Chinese men like for their wife or why Western men like to marry Chinese women...

#1: that always shocked me to see how much just a simple 2 bicycles incident could draw a hughe crowd of bystanders and the argumentation would go on for hours, but that a drunk guy beating off (or really being irrespectful to) his wife on the sidewalk late at night would just be ignored.. I've seen both numerous times, so sorry if I shock some Chinese people here..
#2 Never loose your face: if this is not true, I don't know what is not; they might be able to admit their mistakes; but they sure don't like to loose the face.
#3 lack sense of punctuality: OK, not only in China, but I do have some Chinese friends that are totally the worst I've seen in this matter
#4 Value of friendship over law: Good relations are always useful; that's how business is done here and the Law system relatively new and many rules are still "flexible". Nothing wrong in putting high value in friendship..
#5 Ambition is also a universal thing not only present in China; but again, let's talk about the value of money here in China; let's talk about capitalism in this Communist Country... need more $$$ = ambition or not??

So maybe #3 is not really at it's place here (although I would tend to agree with it from my experience), but for the rest, i think that there is nothing to be alarmed from. Those are just observations and just talks for talks.. chill out!
Sep 7, 2009 10:12
GUEST07140 Being a Chinese myself, I totally agreed with the five common traits except for No.3. These five traits are not only common in China but in other every Chinese communities in other countries.

No. 1 Curious - True!!! The Chinese ppl has this trait of wanting to know everything and what's going on, even over little matters such as domestic affairs. They're like Mr/Miss Know It All if they know something and would like to be the first know so they can pass the news or gossip.

No.2 Highlight the "face" - Hahaha... I totally have to agree with this one. Chinese ppl are reluctant to admit their mistakes. They think they're always right in everything, which can be pretty annoying.

No.3 Lack the sense of punctuality - Chinese people are usually late either in an appointment, even the public buses are often late (probably in China?). Where I come from, Chinese people here prefer to be on time for appointment and meetings because they do not like to waste time. Time means value and opportunity to them esp when it comes to business dealings.

No.4 Value Friendship - So true!!

Chinese people give high inportance to friendship. Sometimes, frienship is put above the "law and regulations".

No.5 Ambitious - Definitely true!!! Chinese people are definitely competitive. They have this I-dont-want-lose attitude. They're not only competitive economically but also in education, financially, career and salary, beauty or looks, possessions, which can be pretty annoying. They always wanting to be the best in everything and can be very critical if they see someone having better things than them. So lame!!! Thats why I prefer mingling with my foreign friends.

The above traits cant easily die out. No matter what, it would be embedded in the culture carry on from generations to come.
Sep 24, 2009 07:52
GUEST36176 you are rigth!
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Five common traits of Chinese in a foreigner's eyes
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code