Menu
Is ignorance a virtue for women?
Sep 27, 2007 12:10
  • AL32
>> ""I don't see why it would be a problem for the kids developpement to see his/her partents equal in
>> the couple." I didn't say equality was a problem, I said the fact that the roles are merging is a
>> problem for the kids development "

What specific roles are you refering to?
Who brings to money in? Who washed the dishes? Who drives the car? Who takes financial decisions?
Common be real!; how can this be a problem for the child?
Unless maybe you're talking of gay couples raising kids or something like a sick father cross-dressing in front of his children... Seriously can't make any sense of this.
Sep 27, 2007 12:35
  • ERENCIUS
Al, there is empirical support for the concept that people have expectations about female and male characteristics, and this support has been found primarily in the literature on gender stereotypes (Bem, 1974; Eagly, 1987; Martin, 1990; Ruble, 1987; Spence & Helmreich, 1978). Fagot (1984) found that early childhood teachers used gender role stereotypes to guide their behavior with children, particularly when they did not know a child well, or if the child was pre-verbal.
Honig (1983) suggested that many people have confused the process by which children develop a gender identity with how children accept a gender role. Developing a gender identity is the process by which children come to believe they are either male or female (Lewis, 1987), whereas a gender role is a set of expectations regarding which behaviors are appropriate for persons of one sex. A gender role has many components including activity choices, interests, skills, dress, and sexual partner (Kessler and McKenna, 1978). When a person accepts a gender role they are accepting the proscriptions designated by society for specific behaviors for their gender. Gender roles differ in each culture far more than gender identity.
These are some authors you should read to learn more about this issue...
Sep 28, 2007 00:46
  • AL32
Thanks once again for clarifying Erencius.
Because I do agree that for such early ages it is normal for parents and teacher to use symbols, toys, propers 'roles' for the kid's gender; things that the culture, mentality, tradition and moral values of previous generations of the society considered normal AND that is now still accepted nowadays.
My reaction was mainly because I thought you were talking about slightly older kids and in accordance to beginning of the thread: the education level of the parents and/or who brings in the bigger salary. As I sure hope that all authors are not still citing or believing in that old adage that ignorance is women's virtue. I hope that it is still not the prevalent womens' gender role to be dumb...
Sep 28, 2007 01:09
  • APAULT
Any man who thinks he is superior to a woman proves his inferiority. We all know that in most societies women control society.. it has always been that way. There is an old saying that: 'Behind every successful man is a woman'. In Britain it was (and might still be) very common for men to bring home the weekly pay packet to their wives - these were often the most successful families. In some tribes in New Guinea the women collectively decide whwn I man is permitted to wear a longer *** gourd - a rise in status.

Griz was right - even the dumbest woman knows that to control a man she has to let him think he is the boss! And if she needs a little more armoury, she has her weapon, like Dodger says.

A modern joke also comes to mind: it is said by a woman who opposed feminism: 'I don't want equality, why should I give up some of my rights?' haha.
Sep 28, 2007 03:10
  • ERENCIUS
Quote:
"I hope that it is still not the prevalent womens' gender role to be dumb..."

Of course it is not prevailing nowadays.

Quote:
"Any man who thinks he is superior to a woman proves his inferiority."
Surely but this doesn t mean that there are no dumb ones, I can introduce plenty of to you if you wish so... Let's say usally women know which guy to choose considering to their control ability. If they are dumb they ll choose someone even dumber ;).
Sep 28, 2007 04:05
  • MIRANDAZHAO
'I don't want equality, why should I give up some of my rights?'

Yes!
Oct 4, 2007 03:36
  • LIZXLI
'I don't want equality, why should I give up some of my rights?'

hehe...I agree.

I think in a family,a clever wife should know how to act her role and a good husband should not hold the thought of SUPERIOR or INFERIORITY.

In China now,I don't see any problem on this point.As a couple,the basic rule,I think,is trust.Just throw away SUPERIOR or INFERIORITY^_^.
Oct 4, 2007 10:28
  • JCNILE123
Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before.
KV.

Ignorance is equal to lack of knowledge or education; therefore, I see no virtue in ignorance.

ALTERNATIVELY, in a more gentle approach, ignorance is unawareness of something, very often something
of capital interest to woman as a group, gender or individual, therefore I see no virtue in ignorance.

Now, if the idea is to be ignorant of a great number of things purposely, to avoid the calamity of
being ignorant of everything as Mr S S. said it, then woman are the brightest creature on earth and
by no means ignorant.
Oct 5, 2007 23:13
  • CHYNAGYRL
We just let men think they're the boss. women are not dumb you know. we say certain things to make them feel smart and strong too.
Oct 5, 2007 23:40
  • CHYNAGYRL
In some Asian countries (maybe Japan or Korea), I heard that the guys will ask a girl on a date and then lecture her. ie tell her what to do and tell her how to live life. It seems to be part of the culture (ie the guy is kindly sharing his magnitude of knowledge and wisdom with a sweet, innocent girl). He's trying to impress her with all his knowledge. What should the girl do? A younger girl would be really impressed. An older or smarter girl might be bored and think he's a narcissist, but politely nod her head. If this happens to me, I usually get quiet and let the person finish talking first, then let them know that I knew what they told me already.

The thing is -- if a woman has to feign ignorance to please a man -- then she will become contemptuous of him. In the short run, it might be cute, but I'm more for partners being honest with each other.
Page 2 of 10    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Is ignorance a virtue for women?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code