Menu
How to deal mother-and daughter in law relationship?
Oct 31, 2007 20:22
  • ICEBERG
Quote: the gist of the reply was that my mom has done her job while my wife has not as yet done hers, meaning we still have a young son who needs a mom.

WCTMAN, you are reasonable. For Chinese people, they think that filial piety is very important.Their mom have done what she could do for her son so that he should support his mother in the rest of her life. If you let you mom drown in the water, you are not filial. On the other hand, wife is also very important. As you said, they have not done their job yet. Thus, the husband is in dilemma. Who should be saved first? It is just a hypothesis and I would not like to see it in real life.
Oct 31, 2007 22:09
  • JCNILE123
I think Wct, reasoning it is reasonable; however, life is not always reasonable.
I hope we never live to make such choice.
Nevertheless, I ask, can we really bypass mom to go and rescue wife on the grounds
of reasonable fairness?
An average Eastern individual will think foul, the filial principal it is applicable instead,
as you can see it on BBQQ reply.
If, these hypotheses ever become a fact, I think I will rescue the nearest first.
Oct 31, 2007 23:22
  • KEVIN0518
JCL, I am with you. If I was confronted with this, I would rescue the nearest one first too. I do not mind other people's comments. And I believe that they will understand what I have done some day.
Nov 3, 2007 00:53
  • JCNILE123
Kevin,
Very interesting point you offered, I like your way of thought.

Quote, I do not mind other people's comments.
And I believe that they will understand what I have done some day

I share it; fully, people’s opinion shall not be a factor of consideration under
such a circumstance.
Nov 3, 2007 02:54
  • KEVIN0518
Yes, JCL. It is easy for peole to make comments on something. Sometimes, they never know what impact their words have made. If they were put in that situation, they would understand how others feel. What we can do is to do what we believe is right.
Nov 3, 2007 03:18
  • BBQQ
Quote: An average Eastern individual will think foul, the filial principal it is applicable instead,
as you can see it on BBQQ reply.

JCL, the filial principle does have a great influence over Chinese people. I really want to hear how you western guys think about the filial principle.

Nov 3, 2007 05:45
  • DODGER
This post seems to be based upon the hypothetical which is impossible to judge. No Court would judge a man in this manner so how can we?
Am I trying to find an easy way out of this? You bet I am.
We cannot know how we would react under stress until that moment comes.
Some are heroes, some not so brave and some run. But unless we have been subject to that situation we cannot sit in judgment.
Dodger.
Nov 4, 2007 08:31
GUEST71177 Mashalla ,your a wonderful son to have, my son is married to a chinese girl, from hong kong, she hates us and insults daily, we live as a extended family, and now we want to leave here and live on our own again. annie
Nov 5, 2007 08:28
  • JCNILE123
(What we can do is to do what we believe is right.)

Yes Kevin, no doubt.
I will only add to your commend that at the very moment, it all boils down to just that,
(the moment in question if it ever happen,) hopefully never!
Nov 5, 2007 08:35
  • JCNILE123
BBQQ,

Quote,
(JCL, the filial principle does have a great influence over Chinese people.)

Yes, I go alone with you, my experience with my girl friend let me understand it.
My respect to such care, love and dedication.
Nothing to add.
Page 4 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to deal mother-and daughter in law relationship?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code