Menu
Personal choice or talent waste?
Oct 29, 2007 22:23
  • DREAMLIFE
Due to the enormous pressure in job-seeking, many college students choose to be house maid or house keeper. The report even said that thousands of college graduates competed for the positions in the bathhouse. On this issue, people have different views.

Some people think that it is not a surprise. College graduates are too many. Confronted with the job seeking pressure, they have to lower their expectations. What's more, to be a house maid or house keeper is their own personal choice. No one has the right to intervene. While other say that it is talent waste. Being a house maid or house keeper does not need those 'elites'.

What are your views? To be a house maid or housekeeper is talent waste?
Oct 30, 2007 03:58
  • JIMMYB
As a Chinese saying goes, each trade and profession has its masters( I am not sure if I translate is correctly). If they can succeed in their life, that is ok.
Oct 30, 2007 08:23
  • JABAROOTOO
Having useful life skills can often be more important than a college degree, which after all is just a piece of paper confirming that you have spent several years at college or university studying some subjects.

There are millions of people around the world who are working in well paid and significant positions who have never been to University or even college but they have learnt a trade or a skill.

Still others have capitalized on a talent or a passion and are reaping the rewards, again without a DEGREE.

Singers and movie stars, small business operators and entrepreneurs of all shapes and sizes are just some examples of people who are considered successful who may not have even finished high school with good grades.

Times are changing and people do have more choices.
Oct 30, 2007 11:31
I'm one of the millions Jabarootoo is talking about, I left school at 15 in 1967 and have worked in various jobs without a degree, I have also worked with several people who have degrees and they all admit envy the way I work, I tell all I use is basic common sence.
Oct 30, 2007 12:22
  • GRIZ326
There education can never be taken from them. Perhaps working as housekeeper will give them an ideal of how to best use their education...like start a housekeeping service with hundreds of employees and thousands of customers.
Oct 30, 2007 21:19
  • BBQQ
I guess that some of them are not willing to work as a housekeeper or house maid. However, they have not choice since there are too many college graduates in China and it is not easy to find a job. I can understand that why thousands of students are admitted to enter the college every year. The goverment wants to make more people euducated. However, they should think about those graduates' employment issue seriously.
Oct 31, 2007 00:19
  • JABAROOTOO
Good point Griz,
Anyone with a business degree and hands on experience should be able to make a go of anything.

The 'ideal' of an educated population begins at home and in the early nurture years of schooling. With a good early grounding, anyone can go on to achieve almost anything.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of Chinese about my age, those that were young teenagers during the 'Cultural Revolution' who got a limited education. Many spent three years or more working in the country and they have either gone back to school, are highly motivated to learn and many are successful businessmen and women in today's China.

Is the issue really too many college graduates? Or is it a matter of education for the sake of education without imparting practical skills and trades.

'Common Sense' is this a dying gift or is it simply that we don't encourage the use of it enough in society today. It's pretty near the top of my attributes list.
Oct 31, 2007 00:26
  • JABAROOTOO
Another point to add to this is that

Learning is a LIFE LONG experience and should be happening all the time, if not one should consider what he is living

So everything you do - from cleaning toilets in other peoples homes (and yes I also have done this job) to that well paid, rewarding job that ignites your passion - can teach you valuable life lessons and skills that build your character and shape your attitudes.
Oct 31, 2007 02:18
Is the issue really too many college graduates? Or is it a matter of education for the sake of education without imparting practical skills and trades.

This was point I was trying to get across, the graduates I have worked with lacked the basic practical skills and relied on me to teach them, hopefully they are now better equipped to further their careers as I plod on towards retirement.
Alan.
Oct 31, 2007 04:19
  • DODGER
I get the feeling that in the West it is Education just for the sake of Education.
You can now study for a degree in Basket weaving.
As Alan has said, there is no substitute for Common sense, except that I have found that it is not that common.
I left school at 14 years old but have but have never given up the quest to continue to learn.
My oldest Son has a degree, but I know as much about the subject as he does but no paper to say that I do.
But as Griz has said, their education cannot be taken away. I have used the very same phrase.
Dodger.
Oct 31, 2007 05:24
Basket weaving is a thriving industry down there in Zummerzet, Dodger I don't know if they have degrees though.
And I agree common sense is not that common these days, we have a saying back home, we might be thick and cand read and write but we can drive a tractor, ooh argh, he he
Alan.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Personal choice or talent waste?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code