China Visa in Old Passport
Nov 18, 2007 12:59
guestDawn I renewed my US passport to have the 6-month validity period for traveling into China. I have double entry China Visa, which have never been used, in the old passport. Can I bring the old and the new passport to enter China? Anyone had this experience before. Should I pay $100 to apply the new China Visa in the new passport. Any advice will help!
Nov 18, 2007 22:09
  • Points: 293
  • Join Date: Oct 12, 2007
  • Status: Offline
No, there's no need to apply for a new visa. Just bring the old one along with you when you travel and show both to immigration.

It's helpful to show them the page with the current visa first, and then your new passport. They'll understand.
Nov 18, 2007 22:11
  • Points: 293
  • Join Date: Oct 12, 2007
  • Status: Offline
Just make sure the validity period for your visa is still current.

Actually, my experience is with my work visa - I'm not sure if it's any different for a tourist visa. Might be good to check with the embassy...
Nov 19, 2007 17:19
GUESTDAWN Thank you for the advice! I will double check again.
Nov 23, 2007 09:55
  • Points: 6610
  • Join Date: Mar 11, 2006
  • Status: Offline
Carrying both passports is the normal international standard but I have not seen this specified anywhere in the Chinese regs. Even if it is Ok there is a fair chance of coming across an immigration oficer who has not met the situation before.

You might also check if the visa can be moved! Two of mine have fallen out because of the poor quality adhesive!
Nov 23, 2007 13:44
  • Points: 132
  • Join Date: Nov 21, 2007
  • Status: Offline
Hi im mick, The last time I was in the embassy in Shanghai there was a guy in the same situation!! they just simply told him present both passports at custom control.
Nov 24, 2007 07:07
  • Points: 6610
  • Join Date: Mar 11, 2006
  • Status: Offline
Ah, good to have that confirmed
Nov 24, 2007 23:50
GUESTDAWN Thank you all! Your responses are very helpful.
May 22, 2010 10:28
GUEST09166 Thanks very much folks, that's a big help.
Oct 4, 2010 03:28
GUESTCHIN FS i hold a malaysian passport n have jus renewed my passport but my china visa is still valid in the old passport. can i enter china with the new passport n the china visa in the old passport?
Oct 4, 2010 05:03
GUEST21132 Yes, you can take both the new and the old passport to enter China.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: China Visa in Old Passport
(You can post as a member (login first) or a guest!)
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code