Menu
Girl attempts to commit suicide for not having "Hukou" to test
Jan 8, 2008 02:09
  • BBQQ
"A hopeless student of a senior Beijing high school committed suicide Friday for being unable to register for the national college entrance exam for lack of "hukou", a residence registration identity and a prerequisite for the enrollment."

In China's educational system, " Hukou" really matters. If you don' have "hukou". You don't have the right to attend the national college entrance examination. I wonder if this kind of rule exists uniquely in China. Did other countries have such a prerequisite for the enrollment. It seems that this rule is far obsolete,but a detailed timetable for canceling the rules have not been set yet.

A 17-year-old girl lies on bed after an unsuccessful suicide attempt in a hospital in Beijing January 6, 2008.

Jan 8, 2008 22:17
  • CANADAGUY
That's a very sad and unfortunate story.
At least the good news is that she wasn't successful in her attempt.
Jan 9, 2008 19:39
  • SHESGOTTOBE
How come she doesn't have a hukou?
Jan 9, 2008 19:54
  • DREAMLIFE
Perhaps, she is from another city and just studies in Beijing.
Jan 10, 2008 19:43
  • SHESGOTTOBE
It's also not possible to register for the national college entrance exam in the city where she has a residency?
Jan 11, 2008 00:11
  • APAULT
They don't have Hukou, I believe, because technically they are migrant workers as the parents are registered elsewhere and unless they get certain jobs which provide eligibility they cannot register in the city they have moved to. So then they cannot enter the local universities.

They do not want to enter in their home cities' universities because they no longer live there and because the whole point was to move awy from a poor area - and a poor area often has a poorer standard of university.

Why the restrictions? I think it is because services are locally funded so the local governments do mnot want to pay for outsiders despite the fact those people are paying local taxes etc, and as part of some older regulations which were trying to slow the move of workers from the countryside to the cities (despite that cheap labour in the cities has been essential to the industrial revolution of the last 20 years, and despite the fact that a reduction in the number of people directly dependent on agricultureis essential in developingg an efficient modern agricultural sector).

But I wait to be corrected if my interpretations are not correct.
Jan 11, 2008 23:06
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Oh ok, now I get it. Thanks, Paul! I thought it’s a national college exam where you can take the examination anywhere in China if you intend to enter for example, Peking University.

But how exactly do you get a hukou? I’m assuming you can get it even if you are not a local resident because I know someone who is from Shanghai and was able to attend Peking University. Another one is from Beijing but was able to attend college at Xi’an. Another one is from a southern province that I don’t remember anymore (shame on me!) but she is attending Tsinghua. Could it be that there are universities that are being funded by the national government and others that are being funded by the local government, that’s why they have different entrance policies? Sorry for the ignorance, hehe…
Jan 12, 2008 03:57
  • GURTY
Sorry to hear that, there are many people like her in China. They were born illegallly and consequently they have no Hukou. The parents didn't declare them on their family directory issued by the local goverment, for fear that they may be fined a great deal of money which they can't afford.
Jan 12, 2008 08:29
  • JCNILE123
Well too bad, people must learn how to make it with the disposable means they have.
That is the miracle of a nation name China.

Some times, you most settle for something shore of the ambitions you have, in other to help your next generation to achieve it.
Jan 12, 2008 21:53
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"They were born illegallly and consequently they have no Hukou. The parents didn't declare them on their family directory issued by the local goverment, for fear that they may be fined a great deal of money which they can't afford."

Is this one of the consequences of the one-child policy? I'm assuming we are not talking about children out of wedlock.

Jan 14, 2008 11:05
  • GRIZ326
I believe Hukou long pre-dates the one-child policy SHESGOTTOBE, but someone here will know for certain.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Girl attempts to commit suicide for not having "Hukou" to test
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code