Menu
Winter coat needed in Nanning?
Jan 28, 2008 18:51
  • GRIZ326
Based on the location of Nanning I would not expect my heavy, winter wool coat would be appropriate. However, the online weather forecast shows that there could be SNOW in Nanning on Thursday.

Should I bring a heavy wool coat? Or just wear a sports jacket?
Jan 29, 2008 00:28
GUEST16233 It is very cold in Guangxi at the moment. Snow
in Nanning & Guilin. If you are wearing a T-shirt
you'll freeze - bring a very thick coat.
Jan 29, 2008 02:05
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Griz,
I don't think your winter woollies be be too much. It is cold and where I am has had less snow that the Nanjing Shanghai area

Not sure what you are used to but this is not normal weather for the Yangtze but there is a tendency for the weather cells to just hover around the same spot.

Even with the heating on (inadequate for the size of the room) I am cold inside and have almost as much on in the house as when I go outside.

We even saw the sun today, well I think it was the sun!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 29, 2008 10:01
  • GRIZ326
Hard to believe that I'll need a wool coat in Nanning, but I will take the sage advice and carry it. We are going to Guilin for a few days, so it may be necessary there.

Thank you :-)
Jan 29, 2008 18:02
  • INMEDIC
Yes it is very bad that people are having a bad time with the weather in Nanning now. I have a friend in Nanning and when I was there in November she was cold then. I was at her parents home and looks like they do not have heat. I feel very sorry for the elderly people with health problems that have to be submitted to harsh temperatures when the average high temperature is 14 to 18 C. I hope my friend can stay warm until the warmer weather can return.
Jan 30, 2008 01:02
  • BARONTWANGLE
GRIZ326 - why is it so hard to believe you will need a coat in Nanning in January/February? This is the winter, and a winter coat is always necessary unless you want to freeze.
Jan 30, 2008 09:48
  • GRIZ326
Nanning's Latitude is 22.49 north while Tampa, Florida is 27.98 north and you never need more than a light jacket in Tampa. I live in Eureka, Montana which is 49.00 north (Canadian border) and this winter I have only put on my wool coat twice.
Jan 30, 2008 18:34
GUEST77243 China is quite different from America or Europe, because Siberia and Mongolia are just above!

The latitude of Shanghai is about the same as Houston, for instance; but Shanghai's winter is much colder.

Harbin is located at 45 N. Needless to say Harbin is much colder than Eureka too, with temperature drops to -30 C from time to time, never reaching 0 C till March.

Jan 30, 2008 20:11
  • BARONTWANGLE
GRIZ326 - What do they teach you at school in the USA? (very little about anything outside your own borders it would seem). Latitude is just one of many factors which influence temperature. Altitude, surrounding terrain, seasons, and many more elements play a vital role. Do you know about the Tibetan Plateau? Try reading up on the difference between continental and maritime air, and learn about jet streams. Then you might understand why you will freeze in Southern China in your sports jacket, and even your "heavy wool coat" during the winter. I am in Guangzhou right now, which is further south than Nanning. The temperature outside is currently 4C. Remember not many people have heating in Nanning, so you might want to bring your string vest too!
Jan 31, 2008 11:15
  • GRIZ326
hehehe....

I was a television weatherman in San Diego and a merchant seaman...what would I know about weather.
Jan 31, 2008 12:16
  • JCNILE123
Griz it is cold in China today days, just think about your weather guy advice to others, and apply it to your self.
Have fun buddy.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Winter coat needed in Nanning?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code