Menu
Do you believe in Yuan Fen?
Feb 1, 2008 02:26
  • BBQQ
Have you ever heard of 缘分 (Yuan 2 Fen 4) before? It has the similar meaning with Karma but little difference still exists. Actually, it is hard to explain or defnite 缘分. But it is everywhere. You meet him or her and become friends. This is 缘分. One day, you come across a girl and think that she is the one you have been looking for all your life. She has the same feeling with you too. This is also 缘分。Those who believe in 缘分 think that the one that he/she is looking for is in somewhere waiting for him/her. If he and she are connected by 缘分, finally they will meet and fall in love. Do you believe in 缘分?
Feb 1, 2008 10:04
  • APAULT
I think we call it 'chemistry'.
Feb 1, 2008 19:36
  • JIMMYB
'chemistry'? Paul, what is chemistry?

Sometimes, I believe 缘分 sometimes not. When you fall in love with sb, you think that he or she is the one that you are looking for. This is what BBQQ calls 缘分。 But when you break up with him or her, your friend just tell you that he or she is not the one that you are seeking and Your Mr or Mrs Right is still somwhere. What you can do is waiting or keep seeking. When time is ripe, 缘分 will fall upon you and your Mr or Mrs Right appears in front of you. Is this true?
Feb 1, 2008 19:59
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I think you are talking about a soulmate, that one person who is destined for you. I used to believe in that when I was a teenager. Young minds, I tell you. LOL!

I don’t believe it because I have seen so many people who were truly in love and then just fall out of love, or cheat or end up in divorce or worse, kill each other. Usually, if you’ve only been involved with one person, you’re bound to think that is your soulmate but then, one day you meet another person, you two click together, is that your soulmate, too? If so, what happens to the first one? If soulmates are true, then it is possible that you have many soulmates and that they are not necessarily lovers or the opposite sex. It is said that soulmates are different parts of a soul group, therefore could be more than one. They become the people that you meet on earth. That means they could be your parents, brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, cousins, children, best friend, lovers, a complete stranger who made an impact on your life and yes, even your mortal enemies. This happens so that we can learn from each other, for how can we learn anything if we are alone? Of course, this is one of those things that you can’t really prove. Science is progressing very fast. Who knows, maybe 1,000 years from now, many things that we don’t believe exist would be proven to exist. I’m keeping an open mind. ^_^

By the way, the meaning of karma is totally different. Karma means if you do something good, good things will come to you in many folds. If you do something bad, bad things will come to you in a hundred folds. Well, in my heart I want to believe it, but every time I see some corrupt people stealing public funds and they are living the good life, I tend not to believe it unless I think that their whole family would suffer from it.

Karma doesn’t answer the question, ‘Why bad things happen to good people and good things happen to bad people?’ Of course, reincarnation will come into play if you wanna dig deeper. O_o
Feb 2, 2008 19:07
  • JIMMYB
Quote:" Karma means if you do something good, good things will come to you in many folds. If you do something bad, bad things will come to you in a hundred folds. Well, in my heart I want to believe it, but every time I see some corrupt people stealing public funds and they are living the good life, I tend not to believe it unless I think that their whole family would suffer from it."

Yes, SHESGOTTOBE. Karma is what Buddhism advocates. Bad deeds, as well as good, may redound on the doer. If you have doubts, Buddhism tells you that bad people will be punished one day. I just know when this day comes.
Feb 22, 2008 23:55
  • LIZXLI
I believe in 缘分 too.Sometimes it is kind of fate,I think.
Feb 24, 2008 00:58
  • NICHOLAS
I have returned from my holiday and can say that my journey was full of 缘分。

I don't believe 缘分 is just a word for lovers, 缘分 really just means 'fate'.

I will begin this reply by also saying the only Chinese song I know most of the words to (except 两只老虎)is called ’缘分‘ and is performed by 五月 (the month of my birth). I first heard this song in my girlfriends Uncles car, he bought a KTV DVD for me whilst I was staying with them and taught me how to sing it.

Leaving the airport in Melbourne I met a lovely couple who were on their way to visit their daughter in Singapore who was about to give birth. This couple have three children, all adults, 2 of 3 who speak and are interested in Chinese and it's culture. They were very excited to listen to my travel plans and I was also happy to hear they would soon become grandparents.

Was it 缘分 that I met the exact same couple one month later at the Singapore airport? We were mutually excited to see each other.

I think it would actually take me too long to continue describing the many times I felt a sense of 缘分 on my holiday. I began with this story as it began at the airport I was first departing but from that time (my departure), every place I went has many memories entwined with a feeling of 缘分。

I hope you are all well and are happy.

Feb 24, 2008 01:04
  • NICHOLAS
These are the words to 缘分. I'm aware not everybody will understand them. JimmyB might be able to help with an elegant translation?

就算前世没有过约定
今生我们都曾痴痴等
茫茫人海走到一起
算不算缘分
何不把往事看淡在风尘
只为相遇那一个眼神
彼此敞开那一扇心门
风雨走过千山万水
依然那样真
只因有你陪我这一程
多少旅途多少牵挂的人
多少爱会感动这一生
只有相爱相知
相依相偎的两个人
才能相伴走过风雨里程
多少故事多少想念的人
多少情会牵伴这一生
才能搀扶走过这一生
Feb 24, 2008 11:38
  • APAULT
Sorry for slow response Jimmy... What was described between two people where there is that sudden attraction is often called 'chemistry'. We might say 'there was an instant chemistry between them.'
Feb 24, 2008 21:17
  • NICHOLAS
For a better understanding of the chemistry that APAULT has mentioned do a google search for mirror neurons. These are the receptors in the brain which trigger this feeling of 'chemistry'..... The research of mirror neurons in humans is quite new to neuroscience (about 10 years) so expect to read a few conflicting statements.

though technically we should be calling it biology, ;-)
Feb 24, 2008 21:42
  • JIMMYB
Nicholas, your journey was really full of 缘分, hehe. To see a stranger two times is 缘分. I guess that they and you are not strangers any more. BTW, 缘分should be performed by 五月天. Am I right? To have an elegant English version of that song, you should ask help for Griz.

Thanks for Paul and Nicholas. Since I didn't learn biology in high school, it is hard for me to understand it.

Paul, perhaps falling in love at first sight is because of chemistry?
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you believe in Yuan Fen?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code