Menu
Web International English Schools Experience ?
Jan 14, 2009 18:54
GUEST31585 How worst? I saw the whole page, only you said so. Why?
Jan 15, 2009 08:28
  • APAULT
I have always said be wary of private language centres. I am sure there are good ones but I have three bad experiences compared with 'difficulties' in other institutions.

Remember that most of them are franchises withe the franchisers taking varying degrees of interest in the way the franchises are operated.

Interesting that there are four posts on Web International in this thread... all are by guests...... I would interpret the 3 good ones accordingly.
Jan 16, 2009 07:35
  • DINGDONG
This is a very timely topic for me as I have just signed a contract with WebI. It will be my first teaching position in China. Probably like most others who apply to teach in China, I feel I am taking a step in the dark.

Why WebI? simply because they have jobs available, and they seem not to mind my advancing years (57). I was interviewed by phone yesterday. All my initial impressions are favourable.

So far, 12 hours after sending the signed contract to the recruiter, I have not had any communication from WebI. The recruiter is talking about visas, but I want confirmation of employment. Maybe I will never get it!

I will provide an update when I have a little progress. I have yet to go through the visa process, so know that I have lots of fun times ahead, whether with WebI or not.

And my next thought ... what happens if WebI don't sign the contract? Back to square 1? Well, hold on. Now, I have been sent other contracts from other recruiters ... who are they with? ... WebI.

Seems like WebI or bust!

Any thoughts from those who have been there, done that?
Jan 17, 2009 08:42
GUEST23238 I worked for Web in Wuxi for a little over a year and it was OK. No issues with pay and my accommodations were acceptable. The only thing I dreaded with doing English Corners :p.
Jan 18, 2009 22:36
  • DINGDONG
Time for an update.
It's now 4 days exactly since I sent the signed contract for a job with Webi at Yangzhou. Still no reply from Webi, although my recruiter assures me there is no problem. She says I will hear later today. Yes, of course ...

Meanwhile my recruiter for Webi at Yiwu (I applied at the same time), wants me to sign her contract. I tell her I don't wish to sign unless my first contract is rejected. I think I am not understood. I try again, saying she might try contacting Webi Head office, but in vain. I think my recruiters need English comprehension lessons.

Guest23238, please expand on your dread of English Corners. I am intruiged, because I will be doing them; assuming I have a job!
Jan 19, 2009 04:08
  • DINGDONG
Has anyone had this experience? not just with Webi, but with any employer.

My recruiter assures me everything is ok, but apparently no one at Webi Head office can confirm to me that I have a job. This is because:
* They are all in conference
* Head office aren't able to send me a scan of the mutually signed contract. They obviously have no scanner; or if they do, no one knows how to use it.

I have exchanged many emails with my recruiter today. I think she is as frustrated as I am.

My suspicious mind tells me that Webi expect me to come to China on a tourist visa and report to Head office. Then, if they don't like the way I look, they can wave goodbye.
Jan 20, 2009 01:29
  • DINGDONG
Finally heard from Webi to confirm the position. However, only that; no instructions about visa application.
Now, what do I do? Wait again? presumably Head office will tell me when they feel the time is right.

Or am I expected to know? I have certainly mentioned to my recruiter many times that I want advice.

I do know about the different visas, but not which one I am supposed to apply for in the case of Webi. They may have their own process. Eventually I will need the Z working visa, but for that I need co-operation from Head office, as I require original documents. Getting those seems a million miles away.

More thumb twiddling.

Who has been in this position before?
Feb 6, 2009 19:52
GUEST11043 My 5 months with WEB were the best of my working life. I am in the procwss of transferring to another city to work for them. They are willing to hire us old folks who have been cast aside by the public schools. I expect another positive experience.
Feb 7, 2009 06:13
  • APAULT
Dingdong....I missed your post before...so this response is a bit late. Personally, In wsuggest that if they don't come up with the paperwork don't continue with them. There are many many jobs in China, and your age is no problem, I signed my fiorst contact at 56 turning 57. There is a massive shortage of foreign teachers... (not surprising in view of the massive demand and low pay)...so there is no need to rush into anything.
Feb 12, 2009 22:42
GUEST72863 Can anyone enlighten me on what kind of questions are asked in an interview with WEBI? I have an interview with them next week and am unsure what to expect. Thanks in advance for any replies!
Page 2 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Web International English Schools Experience ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code