Menu
Web International English Schools Experience ?
Mar 12, 2009 00:49
GUEST44170 Currently, I am teaching at Shanxi Modern Bilingual School in Taiyuan. I am genuinely interested in teaching at Web International English in Yiwu. Yesterday, I sent all necessary documents via email to contacts, Jane and Wendy. I am seeking additional information in particular about vacancies and processing at Yiwu Branch.
Mar 21, 2009 02:25
GUEST42140 Guest01504 should really elaborate...

I am currently on the hunt for a job teaching English in China. I have travelled fairly extensively through China but I think Shanghai could be the go. How are Web's operations in Shanghai?? Jing'an temple campus sounds very convenient, close to everything in Shanghai.

If anyone is looking for a Bachelors graduate with TEFL please contact me, it doesn't have to be Shanghai, my mind is open to all parts of China.

hotmail.com|jameshoi

James

Mar 24, 2009 22:29
GUEST12219 I agree, I worked at the Dalian branch and I can’t explain just how bad it was. Firstly they don’t provide any housing, which is not a problem but if you want the housing allowance you have to provide a tax receipt from your landlord which NO landlord will give you as they don’t want to pay tax. Secondly check your pay every month because they love stiff you on the little things and will not provide a pay slip because then you will know they fine you money or take money out.
And among other problems the worst is the attitude of the bosses, they have NO respect for the foreign staff AT ALL, you are simply a cash cow to them and they will not negotiate on any terms. ME BIG BOSS YOU WORKER.
The school itself is simply a conveyor belt. The lesson plans are old and out of date, the closest thing they have to an education director is the marketing department who decide what should happen with the education for marketing purposes only. Go to a university, at least there you will feel like you are making a difference and not just entertaining the students to make web massive profits.
Mar 24, 2009 22:50
GUEST12219 When it comes to recruiters and private schools DONT TRUST them. Web is a conveyor belt school, the staff come and go faster than the students. It’s a money making machine and the managers in Dalian could not even speak English and knew nothing about education. They mostly spy on other schools that employ an education director and steal their ideas. They have bought a computer system and hired someone to write lesson plans 10 years ago and the rest is all business. In Dalian they had no interest in the teachers at all, they once invited a teacher from the other side of the country promising they will help him find an apartment. When he arrived at the school with his bag they expected him to teach that day in less than an hour. They never did help him. I have a long list of terrible things they tried to pull. I found working for universities much much more fulfilling, Web really does just want entertainers, I am disgusted that they have the balls to call themselves a school.
Mar 25, 2009 07:27
  • APAULT
I have no knowledge about Web International but I make the following broad comments.

The experience provided in the last two posts is typical China. This is how many Chinese employers treat there staff. Most are too frightened to complain. The Labour Laws are not worth the paper they are written on. Legally, employers can fine workers (I think up to 10% of their pay) for non-performance, they are police, judge and jury, and there is no come back.

Many language schools and other businesses operate there customer relationships in the way described. Parents genrally have no idea how things should be run, students only a little more, and no-one will complain... that is the culture. Businesses are run on a short term get rich quick philosophy, gfew stop to consider long term goals. This is all posssible because laws are lax and the demand is MASSIVE...there is plenty more cannon fodder for the classrrooms: Chinese parents are so education oriented (often with totally unrealistic expectations and understanding of whether there are any real benefits) and the wealthy elite is growing rapidly.

I have tried to work for 3 language centres and each time they have lied and cheated staff, business partners, and/or students (yeah, I'm a slow learner!).

Mar 28, 2009 01:06
GUEST79191 I worked at the Web in Ning Bo for a little less than a year. I was paid on time, which is the only positive thing I can say about my experience while there. I was required to be in the office eight hours a day, while teaching five classes a day. The other three hours you are there, you are serving as a marketing tool while secluded in your foreign teacher office. The lessons are redundant, useless, and not worthy of being classified as educational. Learning a foreign langauge is a talent and 70% of the general population does not have the ability. Promising hard-working Chinese that they will somehow be able to make more money through language skills acquired at these langauge schools is a joke. I honestly felt guilty about the money they were charging and angry at the percentage of their sceme that was making its way into my pocket.
Mar 28, 2009 09:44
  • APAULT
GUEST79191 : Unfortunately many teachers feel this way. I have felt the same at both of the private universities I have taught at (but I had a much easier workload and didn't have to be present all day) and totally despise the language centres I have had brief dealings with. If you try to input from your experience and provide 'added value' simply because as a prefessional that is what we expect to do in our work, you may be ignored, ostracised, or told you just don't understand the Chinese culture (even though you might be very aware of 'world's best practice'). The easiest way to survive in China is to accept the Chinese way and do what you can in that context... it is not difficult to be seen as the best teachers by the students even if you feel guilty because you are only giving a percentage of what you could.
Apr 8, 2009 03:00
GUEST96232 and only getting a percentage of what you should be paid. Many schools cut off money on foreign teachers salary.
Nov 13, 2009 10:18
GUEST33217 would like more info. Where is Shanghai branch located? Do they have age limit? I'm retired, but have extensive China experience, including teaching.
Would pefer Shanghai because of friends there.

Art Barbeau

Gmail.com|www.aebarbeau
Nov 27, 2009 18:35
GUEST11141 Web has several centers in Shanghai, like maybe 10. Age limit for men is 60 I believe, and 55 for women.

Web is a horrible, intolerable place to work. I lasted six months before walking out the door after my second "written warning" ... God! What a joke! First written warning was when I went to the hospital for dehydration in the summer time after Web refused to turn on the A/C in our building. It was 45C in the office for two weeks and finally my body gave out. Second written warning was when I refused to go to work (along with several other teachers) because we did not get paid.

The attitude at Web is "if you don't like it, leave." Typical Chinese company: mismanaged, no organization, incompetent, worthless. They make "clerical" mistakes every time payday comes around and, imagine this, the mistake is always in their favor -- never in your favor.

My advice is stay away from Web
Page 3 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Web International English Schools Experience ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code