Menu
Web International English Schools Experience ?
May 20, 2010 03:40
GUEST32221 I worked for web for just over a year. The teaching side of the job is fine, but be very careful, they will try and cheat you as many ways as they can. I learnt the hard way. They give the impression they care about teachers, but they really don't care. I was paid late a number of times and also underpaid. They are also famous (in shanghai anyway) for employing illegal teachers without the correct visa. They are also very good at changing the contract mid term without notice. As a company they are rotten to the core my friend.
May 3, 2011 07:04
GUEST97677 Does anyone have any recent experience of this company in Fujian province? Thank you in advance for your help.
Jun 2, 2011 11:42
GUEST10758 They are an incredibly dishonest company. They treat foreigners just like the name "foreigner" would suggest -- as an outsider that has no rights.

I would stay away.
Jul 11, 2011 03:11
GUEST93143 I currently work for Web International and can vouch for the truthfullness of other comments. There are currently three games they play, flouting Chinese law and disrespecting foreign and Chinese staff.

1. Refusal to give a copy of the employees contract to the employee - employees who ask for a copy of their contract after employment will be palmed off with a range of excuses, the commonest being that the CEO is unavailable to sign for it. This can go on indefinately and if you force it out of them he doesn't sign it anyway. Under Chinese law only the company stamp validates it. The aim is to leave you contractless and thus unprotected since the contract is only activated when the company stamp and your signature appear on both copies.

2. Keeping the employees foreign experts certificate - under Chinese law this certificate is held by the employee. Web takes it from employees and refuses to give it to them in order to quickly cancel their visa if they are fired.

3. Non adherence to new labor laws. On July 1st the Shanghai government enacted obligatory legislation giving all foreigners with work visas (except South Korea and Germany) a range of benefits including medical insurance and a pension. Serious fines and punishment exist for companies who don't comply. As yet Web has not complied and "plays dumb" continually with any staff who enquire about it.

This is clearly a company that needs to be taken to the Labor court and plans are in the pipeline amongst teachers to do so.

Jul 27, 2011 19:00
GUEST23224 Does anyone have information about Web in Jiangyin? I have been offered a position there, and would like to know as much as possible before I accept.
Aug 20, 2011 09:57
GUEST46230
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST01504

I worked for Web and it was the worst 2 months of my life!!

Can you be a little more specific about your experiences there?
Aug 25, 2011 21:50
GUEST97143 As well as I - I will be return to Shanghai for the second time. Whats the visa situation like? Whats the going rate for housing & wages? Im not on the pulse so any info would be fab.

Oct 4, 2011 01:44
GUESTDAVID M I work at Quanzhou Web and overall it is great. It is obviously a Chinese company so many times things that Westerners take for granted have to be explained to HR. (Ex. if payday falls on a holiday or weekend you will be paid after the holiday not before like in the west.) They also tend to be very strict on their individual office rules. One manager complained I was 1 minute late the day after a typhoon, there were trees in the street, no cabs and most of the city was closed. I of course said look outside everythign else is closed I had to climb over 4 trees to get here. He said "Don't let it happen again" and backed down, basically a Chinese manager wanting to show he had power, he did not last long here.
Nov 2, 2011 22:54
GUEST61120 What is the situation with WEB in Xuzhou? I may sign on there soon.
Is there acceptable Housing near the school? Is a bicycle advisable? Is pay timely? Is there an ex-pat Protestant church community? Is it a friendly working environment?

Thanks for any input you may have.
U.S. English teacher
Nov 23, 2011 21:32
GUEST04163 Generally, two reasons folks come to teach in China. 1) want to travel, see China, experience the culture. For these folks, college and uni life is best, lots of vacation time, adequate pay. Lots of little hassles, but bearable.

2) Serious teachers who want to experience Chinese culture and also want to save money. Web is good for the second group. The money is great, there is lots of interaction with adult Chinese, and the basic courseware is solid, good, yet allows room for an experienced teacher to bring their knowledge and experience to the classroom.

Ones experience in China depends upon the people one is thrust into contract with (legal and social). You might say, this last part depends on your karma. It varies enormously from person to person, Web center to Web center, college year to college year.
Page 4 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Web International English Schools Experience ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code