Menu
Web International English Schools Experience ?
May 26, 2012 11:05
GUEST37233 I have also been contacted by WEB and they want me to start ASAP. I am starting to become nervous with all these reviews I am reading...Can someone give me some current thoughts?

Thanks
Jun 9, 2012 20:28
GUEST20018 Web seems to have lots of bd reviews as do many/most training centres in China.

One of my friends worked at Web in 2010 and said many teachers left or were fired or just accepted being cheated all the time.

He also worked for 2 other big training centres and said it was a similar situation, cheating "foreigners" is like a hobby in these places.
Jun 15, 2012 01:55
GUEST110 Well i am working at the Web Center in Zhang Jia Gang at the moment and i need to say that it is true that you need to look after your rights. But You need to do this in almost every part of China.
I get paid on time, if its at weekend then i get paid before. Some of the lesson plans are/were outdated but managment talked to some foreign teachers and changed/upgraded the lesson plan accordingly.
So actually i dont have many bad things to say (expect that the accommodation is not high enough for a expensive city like this)

Oh maybe i also should mention that there had been a change in managment 6 month ago, many things changed to the better.
Jul 17, 2012 13:35
GUEST31197 Hey did you get a 2012 start in WEB Shanghai??

If, so what's it like?
Oct 10, 2012 07:15
GUESTPEDIGRE... My friend works for Web in Dongguan, Nan Cheng district (I work at another language training centre in the city), and he just told me that the staff at the school have not been paid today. It is the middle of the week and a full 3 days after any public holiday, so there would seem to be no excuse for a late payment.
He has tried to find a reason for the wages being delayed but they have not even had the decency to respond. Furthermore, they will not give him any contact numbers or email addresses so that he can make enquiries to a higher level.
Still, they expect the teachers to carry on teaching their lessons.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. It seems to me that web are a pack of thieves, pure and simple.

I also know that foreign staff have to declare themselves "Correspondents" in order to get a work visa through web, and not as teachers. This gets them around having to pay out medical insurance / pensions, presumably.

Web should be reminded that cheating the Labour department this way in China is a capitol offense!
Oct 30, 2012 13:08
GUEST35148 Hello,

Are you still employed in this school?

I have been offered a position and am due to arrive in a weeks time.

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.
Nov 7, 2012 02:15
GUEST42205 A previous poster wrote "sounds like sour grapes to me..." In light of all the negative feedback here, and based on personal experience, that post is irresponsible especially towards the uninitiated seeking the truth. If you are prepared to fly halfway around the world for a job you are owed honesty. As a cautionary side note: WEB and recruiters will post on this forum...Don't believe their hype!

In my opinion, the name WEB couldn’t be more apt. You will understand that if you are unfortunate enough to fly into their trap. The overwhelming odds (I urge you to read all the comments) are that whatever WEB International centre you choose in China you run a very high risk of coming off worse.

Of course, the choice is yours. I ignored the negative comments here before working for WEB because I just wanted to get over here as fast as possible...how I rue that day!

Firstly, let’s look at the subject of money. Most WEB's offer about 8000 Rimbi per month, plus 1000 for housing. "Not bad!" I hear you say, that's what I thought too: and after food, rent, bills, socializing expenses you can look at saving between 5 and 6000 Rimbi per month. However, factor in the hours you will be working. Work hours: 15 hours prep time plus 25 contact hours = 40 hours... tough, but do-able, right?!

If you are a teacher worth his or her salt, those 40 hours quickly escalate once you realize that you have to’re-plan' WEB's lesson plans because they're so lame (BTW there about 400 of these that you "must" teach.)

In addition, you have your English corners which you will have to totally plan from scratch (average around 5 a week x 12 months = 240 new lessons for you to prepare). Then of course there are the student 'parties' which bite into your free-time.

All in all, you are easily looking at a 50 hour week, for at least the first two to three months. And that is if you already have a few years teaching experience under your belt...for a new teacher, I pity the soul!

So to work out how much your going to be realistically working for your salary: 8500 Yuan Rimbi (that's after tax but before expenses) then divide that by 200 hours (50 hours x 4 weeks) = Approx 40 Yuan Rimbi (6.5 US Dollars) per hour.

I haven't even started to tell you how they treat you...digest the above first.

In conclusion, WEB International is a sweat shop, and to reiterate previous posts...AVOID!! If you’ve already accepted...I urge you to rethink, you can do a lot better. However, if you don't care about teaching, are just looking for a pay check, don't mind being put over a barrel and royally screwed at every twist and turn...it's perfect!

PS The inevitable slew of recruiters whom will post after this will say such as "It varies from WEB school to WEB school"...This is a ‘preferred’ lie, for just as all the lesson plans are 'standardized' throughout WEB centres so is their managerial stance. We, students and employees alike, are meat for their grinder...nothing more.
Nov 22, 2012 10:41
GUEST26143 i am from pakistan,can i am become student in this school plz tell me about this process,
yahoo.com|lovly_jani
Nov 25, 2012 07:27
GUEST12929
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST26143

i am from pakistan,can i am become student in this school plz tell me about this process,
yahoo.com|lovly_jani

Firstly, after reading all the comments, why would you still want to enroll at this school/chain anyway?! Maybe I'm wrong, but judging from your previous message, and the fact you come from an ex-British colony like Pakistan your English will probably be way more advanced than anything WEB can improve upon! Besides, the students get the worst of it at WEB...especially considering the exorbitant prices.

There are much better schools out there, so my advice is to shop around first.

Although I haven't worked there, Wall Street seem like a pretty good outfit. Also, if there is a British Council school near you, you should try them.
Dec 2, 2012 22:22
GUEST38204 Thank god for the internet and this forum! I almost accepted a post to teach in Shanghai with WEB. Phew!

The interview over the internet was a joke, a two minute garbled nonsensical conversation with someone who could hardly speak English, at the end of which they said "When are you coming?"

Alarm bells went off, so I decided to do some searching and found, amongst others, these pages of which 80% were: "Warning!"

So thank you to you all, for sharing your hard earned and unfortunate experiences. It goes without saying that this is one teacher who definitely 'WON'T!' be working for WEB International.

Thank you again!
Page 6 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Web International English Schools Experience ?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code