Menu
Do you like ice cream?
Mar 20, 2008 23:13
  • RITA
OK, I am talking about Haagen Dazs in China, because I heard it's much cheaper in other places in the world, just like normal brands(Meng Niu:))).

Without question, it's WAY too expensive for just an icecream, but does Haagen Dazs overcharge(?)(again, in China) when they sell an icecream for 50~100rmb. It's hard to say and it depends on how you look at it. If you see the small icecream as a piece of iced condensed milk, cream, fat, chocolate ... and maybe some vanilla or herbs, etc etc, at the utmost, you have it in a nice airconditioned room, nice service, the price is grossly inflated. But if you see it as a source of heady self-worth a passport of an exclusive experience, then it's hard to say what price would be too high.

I don't know but for those who needs an icecream everyday after lunch/dinner, I just don't think Haagen Dazs is affordable for most Chinese. I mean, it will be a scandal for people to have a 10yuan 炸酱面 for dinner and 100yuan dessert like Haagen Dazs.
Mar 20, 2008 23:19
  • RITA
Haagen Dazs not only gives the pleasant feeling to people's taste buds, but also the feeling of "I have been there."
:-))
Mar 21, 2008 08:17
  • GARYKINKADE
I think you are right Rita. Go for a Dairy Queen (provided they are reasonably priced) and you like soft ice cream.
Mar 29, 2008 00:23
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"Without question, it's WAY too expensive for just an icecream, but does Haagen Dazs overcharge(?)(again, in China) when they sell an icecream for 50~100rmb. oIt's hard to say and it depends on how you look at it. If you see the small icecream as a piece of iced condensed milk, cream, fat, chocolate ... and maybe some vanilla or herbs, etc etc, at the utmost, you have it in a nice airconditioned room, nice service, the price is grossly inflated. But if you see it as a source of heady self-worth a passport of an exclusive experience, then it's hard to say what price would be too high.

I don't know but for those who needs an icecream everyday after lunch/dinner, I just don't think Haagen Dazs is affordable for most Chinese. I mean, it will be a scandal for people to have a 10yuan 炸酱面 for dinner and 100yuan dessert like Haagen Dazs."

A pint of Haagen Dazs here is around $3. If it is 100yuan in China, that's about $14. I don't know... how big of a serving is that? 10 yuan for a dinner??? I usually paid 40-60 yuan for my dinner in Beijing. Was I overcharged? O_O
Mar 29, 2008 10:46
  • JCNILE123
Yes, but I buy what I like instead of the name.
Mar 30, 2008 16:31
  • IBAUSSIE
I love it but refrain most of the time,Gotta watch the waist line lol.
Favourites would have to be, Hokey Pokey, Jelly tip and rum and raisin.

One of the funniest thing i have ever seen would have to be ; imagine Siberia,air temperature -15 degrees and snowing hard.,Outside a train station i spot an icecream seller and his little cart under a snow umbrella,obviosly to keep the snow off,selling icecreams to a line of russian citizens.
Did i buy one,Damn right,carried it round all day and it didnt melt, haha lol
Bought a bag full for my friends kids,carried them around all day in a plastic bag,they didnt melt either,lol ,the icecreams not the kids hehe
Apr 28, 2008 00:10
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
Haagen Dazs is overpriced anywhere. Besides, they have a very silly name for such an American brand.

Dairy Queen can be found everywhere in big cities, but I don't really consider soft-serve ice cream to be real ice cream. They are usually starchy or filled with whey. They also have little cream and butter fat. Don't go for Walls, which is made by Unilever. They are a chemical company, so you'll get what you pay for.

When in China, go for Dreyer's. It's cheaper than Haagen Dazs and tastes just as great! Also, try eating at Cold Stone. Their concoctions are to die for.

I saw a Baskin-Robbins near the Beijing Zoo. Has anyone tried it yet?
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you like ice cream?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code