Menu
Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Apr 9, 2008 22:50
  • LEONARDO
Recently, an overseas Chinese returnee who has been in North America for decades talked about the common phenomenon that overseas Chinese men seldom married western women.

He summed up the following reasons: ( In Chinese version of People’s Daily)
1. Most overseas Chinese are the first generation of immigrants. They usually lived in a relatively confined area such as Chinatowns and its surroundings. They have few chances to contact westerners not to mention western women. Naturally, the chances of marrying western women are slim. Certianly, the second generation of immigrants is doing a better job than their forefathers. They have more opportunities to be acquaited with western women. Hence, the possibility of marrying western women is larger.

2. Most overseas Chinese still bear in mind the old family tradition that marriage is still subject to parents’ will (although the arranged marriage has declined). The overseas Chinese who came from mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong usually do not have a deep understanding of westerners. Naturally, they won’t favor that their childrend will marry western women who spoke different language.( The parental generation usually do not have a good command of English. So communication between the daughter-in-law and the mother-in-law is a problem.)

3. Those Chinese who have settled in North America for a short period usually have limited income and generally keep a low profile. They mistaken that the White must have a very high income. In terms of making friends, the Chinese women with similar background are the overseas Chinese men’s first choice.

4. Both USA and Canada are typical multi-cultural societies consisting of multiple races and ethnicities. According to official statistics, the first generation of immigrants accounts for 50% of Canada’s total population. Not only Chinese, but also German, Russian, Polish, Indians and Hispanics have the semi-closed communites like the Chinatowns. In these semi-closed communities, marriage is still kind of “self-sufficient”. The inter-racial integration, particularly cultural integration, is a longstanding problem that the North American governments have to tackle.

5. The Whites usually have larger figures than Chinese (yellow-skin race). Chinese men generally don’t like the western women who have larger body figures. Additionally, in the Chinese men’s mind, western women are generally quite open and bold. Well, these features are generally not adored by Chinese men. Therefore, the short-term dating with western women was common, but few actually ended up with marriage.

Apr 9, 2008 22:50
  • LEONARDO
As China’s economy goes international, Chinese are scattering aroung the globe. However, there is a false gossip that “Chinese men are not gentle and considerate for women.” I have chanced upon a statement that Chinese men have few to offer western women. Is it the real case?

As far as I am concern, in some western societies, the phenomenon of western men abusing their wives is more common than serious than the situation of Chinese men’s maltreatment of their spouses. The rise of Feminism in the western society can mirror the problem to a certain extent. Therefore, to say Chinese men seldom shows consideration for their wives are biased.

Finally, the world we are living in is a kaleidoscope. The above cases are only an overseas returnee’s observation and my personal understanding. We all have the right to air our personal insights for this issue. What do you think of the issue? Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women? Welcome you to shed some light on the topic!
Apr 9, 2008 23:41
  • MARRIE
((western women are generally quite open and bold))

i am not quite sure if this survey has got enough ramdon samples. i chance upon western white women during study and work, they can be catogorized the same way as yellow race. I am in immigrant country, i find there's no equation between north american whites and euro whites. north Am has their own cultures.
Apr 9, 2008 23:55
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Some of the most conservative people I've ever known are Americans.

Believe it or not, the most submissive woman I know, meaning she serves her husband in such a way that the husband do not have to get up from his chair and she does everything he says is an American woman. When her husband didn't allow her to visit her own sick mother, she couldn't do anything.
Apr 10, 2008 00:32
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
<Believe it or not, the most submissive woman I know, meaning she serves her husband in such a way that the husband do not have to get up from his chair and she does everything he says is an American woman.>

ShesGotToBe, is your friend Asian American or a recent immigrant by any chance?

Also, I wonder whether white women are just as receptive to Chinese/East Asian men than they are to white men or men of other races. Any caucasian women want to clarify?
Apr 10, 2008 06:40
  • JABAROOTOO
There are plenty of western women who are doormats for their men........as Shesgotttobe as suggested. Loas of women live with the threat of violence if they so much as put a foot wrong in the house.

Language and cultural difference would probably have been the factors which most influence whether Oriental men marry the local women in their new countries. Their is a lot of social pressure for men to remain 'culturally' pure.

I doubt that the comments have been supported by adequate research but the comments are none the less valid.
Apr 10, 2008 10:13
  • JCNILE123
As the Leonardo calls it, I thing it is more of a generational and exposure matter, first generations are more in to their people.
As times goes by, the children get immerse in to the new environment, and so they are absorb in parts and get absorbed in others.

Evolution?
Apr 10, 2008 16:35
  • GRIZ326
It's all very simple......

Chinese men are smarter than Western men. *hehehehe* ROFLOL No offense intended to the Western women.

Seriously, the American women I've discussed this with do not seem to be attracted to Asian men. I've never men a Western man who did not find Asian women wonderfully attractive. Perhaps that is part of it. Asian men are not attracted to the bigger Western woman and Western women are not attracted to Asian men.
Apr 10, 2008 21:59
  • SHESGOTTOBE
"ShesGotToBe, is your friend Asian American or a recent immigrant by any chance?"

Both of them are Caucasians, born and bred in the US of A.
Apr 11, 2008 04:51
GUEST2198 "Language and cultural difference would probably have been the factors which most influence whether Oriental men marry the local women in their new countries. Their is a lot of social pressure for men to remain 'culturally' pure."

JABAROOTOO , then how can you explain why so many western men married Chinese women? The llanguage and cultural difference also exist between Chinese women and western men.

"Their is a lot of social pressure for men to remain 'culturally' pure." Can you explain it in detail? Does it suggest that western men do not face the pressure to be "culturallly pure"?
Apr 11, 2008 22:16
  • MARRIE
Cultural difference and communication hindrance is one reason. The other reason is sort of unexplainable psycholigical, physical and racial exclusiveness even if this chinese man is born or bred overseas.
Page 1 of 26    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code