Menu
Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Apr 12, 2008 21:52
GUEST2402 I find that Chinese men are more thoughtful than western guys. I don't know why western women don't like guys from Asian countries. I agree with the author of the thread that western women are too bold and open. Chinese men still like the more feminine and reticent Chinese women.
Apr 12, 2008 22:16
  • GARYKINKADE
(My opinion only) Do Chinese men view Western women as "gold diggers" (opportunist) whereas Western men view Chinese women as reserved and more conservative in their lifestyle?
Apr 13, 2008 19:10
  • LEON8ME
Who said : "Birds of a Feather flock Together." ? Why am I so strongly drawn to Native American, Asian, and Latin American female archetypes ? Why is there an almost universal aversion to obesity ? Why do most females want their men to be taller ? Why does the "new kid" sit alone, in the cafeteria, on his first day in a new school ?
Apr 13, 2008 21:26
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
<Why is there an almost universal aversion to obesity?>

I wonder who we refer to? =P
Apr 13, 2008 22:48
  • ICEBLUE
<<Who said : "Birds of a Feather flock Together." ? Why am I so strongly drawn to Native American, Asian, and Latin American female archetypes ? Why is there an almost universal aversion to obesity ? Why do most females want their men to be taller ? Why does the "new kid" sit alone, in the cafeteria, on his first day in a new school ? 》

LEON8ME, your opinions are too implicit. Can you put it more explicit and direct?
Apr 14, 2008 21:11
  • SUMMERSNOW
2. Most overseas Chinese still bear in mind the old family tradition that marriage is still subject to parents’ will (although the arranged marriage has declined). The overseas Chinese who came from mainland China, Taiwan, and Hong Kong usually do not have a deep understanding of westerners. Naturally, they won’t favor that their childrend will marry western women who spoke different language.( The parental generation usually do not have a good command of English. So communication between the daughter-in-law and the mother-in-law is a problem.)

Cultural difference is an important barrier for international marriage. Even people who have similar cultural background have to face the potential misunderstanding in the future marital life. A another related topic is whether to marry someone who has similar personality character to you or to marry one who has a complete contrary personality to you. That is to say, is it proper for two people with distinct differences in personality to marry? A reserved husband+ an outgoing wife=?
Apr 14, 2008 23:43
  • LEON8ME
Hello ICEBLUE, I will try. I really believe the concepts explored in this thread are very complex, though. These ideas defy a simple, direct expression. Basics of human nature. Jungian archetypes... ad. infinitum..

I am not a racist (or a gender-ist). However, I can't deny or overlook the existence of racial (and cultural) distinctions. In my humble opinion, Karl Jung explored these ideas the best. I often refer to his book: "Man and His Symbols". One of his ideas is that the various races are the product of millennial influences... evolution, environment, socialization, culture, even metaphysical spiritual influences. So basically, I think, the physical, social, esthetic, and spiritual aspects of each race are the present expression of thousands of years of development, shaped by local paradigm.

Simply put, (for example) the Inuit people look and act the way they do because they have lived on the fringes of the Arctic ice for millennia... repeat this thought for every distinct human race.

OK ? Now, throw jet transport, open trade, politics, and internet communication into the mix. What do you get ? My opinion, again... a global melting pot.

The individual should have the right to decide what are his(her) most important values. Only the individual can say what attributes of fellow humanity are most attractive and desirable. I think Jung was trying to say that the individual's choices have been powerfully informed by thousands of years of external forces.

I guess I haven't been very explicit and direct :)

I am attracted to both Native American and Pan-Asian culture, aesthetic, and spirit. And I believe the two paradigms have been linked for thousands of years.

Apr 15, 2008 01:09
  • LEON8ME
Hello MUDDIEDKNEES, answering your question, I cautiously say : "no one in particular.." as I furtively tighten my belt to the 36 inch circumference mark. I am politely dabbing my beard with a napkin, to remove the last of the barbeque sauce. I look down, and breathe a sigh of relief when I see the tips of my toes. :)
Apr 15, 2008 20:38
  • LEONARDO
LEON8ME,

A very profound post! You stretched the orginal topic. So, is it safe for me to draw a conclusion that you attribute the case I described( overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women) to the huge cultural and spiritual differences among different races or ethnicities? You seem to insist that it is hard to melt away the differences.

Well, as we all know, globalization is accelerating the cultural integration. In other words, cultural assimilation is an inevitable trend. The two paradigms ( you mentioned) can be well integrated.
Apr 15, 2008 21:04
  • SHESGOTTOBE
In this era of globalization, it is impossible not to be influenced by another culture. Suppressing it is like grabbing a fistful of sand, expecting those tiny grains to stay in your hand. Culture, just like everything else evolves. Genetically, we are all connected, ‘siblings’ in some way; it just happened that some are on other parts of the globe and created their own way of life.
Page 2 of 26    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code