Menu
Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Aug 12, 2008 18:44
  • DODGER
That’s a huge call Antonio. Can you back that up with facts or is it just your own observation?
Dodger.
Aug 12, 2008 19:45
  • JCNILE123
I think ANTONIO don't like western man,

His name it self explains his ignorance.
Aug 13, 2008 21:40
  • LEONARDO
Hey CLOUDHANDS,

Your post offers an insight into the topic.
>>He says gossip in the Chinese community (of 20,000) is unbearable, and he has divorced himself from complications within the community. <<

Yea, gossip is common in Chinese community. And often, gossip is entangled with’ face issue” in Chinese community. In many cases, many household wives in rural China are keen on gossiping over others. Meanwhile, they are in fear of becoming the subject of gossip because they are afraid of losing face in front of others. Well, I don’t think that gossip is not unique in Chinese community. Almost in every culture, there are “big mouths”.

>>I find Asian men to be among the most attractive in the world because of their cultural values and personal attributes. <<
Cloudhands, can you specify the admirable cultural values and personal attributes?

>> I don't discount American men, but feel put off most of the time by what is often regarded as typical masculine identity here, which feels pushy and arrogant to me. I think that in America during the past two generations, we have really missed the boat in terms of setting priorities for family and education. <<

Since I have read many posts by American men claiming that “American feminism has disrupted the stability of traditional family structure”, I comprehend that a great number of American men are complaining their women care less about the families. You mentioned the “typical masculine identity” in your post. I am interested in what the “typical masculine identity” is from the point of view of American men. What is regarded as “typical masculine identity” in American women’s eyes?

Aug 13, 2008 22:34
  • MARRIE
>>I find Asian men to be among the most attractive in the world because of their cultural values and personal attributes. <<

Hello western lady, please specify the above. Uptil now, I don't see any extraordinary personal attributes and values among general asian men compared to the men from from the west. some chinese men gossip the way housewives do. Gossip is a well known strategy ( one of chinese famous 36 strategies) that ruins fame...
Aug 23, 2008 03:24
GUEST42234 Leonardo, of course all cultures gossip, who said it was unique to one community??
Speaking from China, you may not be aware that there is a huge movement against education here in the USA. As a teacher I find this particularly frustrating. That is not to say I think the teaching methods in some other places are necessesarily better. Part of the problem comes with changing priorities associated with an aging population.
If you have read about social changes in this country, you will know some of the changes that have occurred in the family, over the last 30 years. It is not just women who changed their attitudes toward family.
As far as positive attributes, I cannot speak much for residents of countries I have not lived in,but I am talking mainly about Asian Americans I work and live with on a daily basis. They constitute most of my neighbors, about 80 percent of my students,who are brought up distinctively different than other children here. Namely they STUDY and do their school work.
I have dated Asian men, and found the conversation easier and more in tune with my interests. This is because the people I have dated are educated, expected to become well educated as a cultural value.
There is a point of view here, that people do not need education, that educators are mere bureaucrats, out to stifle the American dream. I have known people personally who who are anti-education. That of course, is only one side of the coin..
People can self-stereotype, one kind being versions of iconic masculine tough guy images popularized in the media. I dont know what other women think is masculine identity, becuse that is something coming from the men. One thing, being too academic is often considered feminine in this country, or an insult to masculine pride.
Personally, I don't enjoy the company of someone who must be right or have their way, whatever place they may come from.
Yes, I have a problem when people devalue education, so if someone values it, sees it as more than a way to make money, great, as far as I am concerned.
Aug 23, 2008 21:41
  • LEONARDO
Hey (42234)CLOUDHANDS,

>>Speaking from China, you may not be aware that there is a huge movement against education here in the USA.<<

To be frank, I am surprised about the knowledge you offered. Despite that I have learnt US history and culture at university, I have never been told that there was(is) an anti-education movement in USA. It is unbelievable for me. In China, education is positioned in an unprecedented priority. Both the Chinese officials and ordinary Chinese are aware of the importance of education. No matter how poor a family might be, parents spared no effort to let their kids receive as much education as possible.

I wonder what the US government's position on anti-education movement is. Who are the activistists of anti-education movement? What are their agendas?
Sep 3, 2008 13:37
GUESTPINK WOMAN As a white woman that is quite a bit bigger in stature to my Chinese fiance, I must say that we are more into WHO the other one is rather than the physical aspects of each other. HOWEVER, I can tell you that I am extremely attracted to him , as he is to me. We are in our 50's, and have gotten past the stereotypical things that an interracial romance usually brings. But we can laugh together about many things without insulting the other one, because we really have gotten to know each other well, and have totally accepted the other for WHO we are. I love him very much, and we plan to marry soon.
Sep 8, 2008 18:44
  • REMAG1234
Leonardo, I say your statement is wrong. There is NO anti-education in the US. Maybe you mean the Dumbing Down of Education. To post on this topic would take pages and pages. There is such a vast number of opinions, some who agree and others that disagree it is almost impossible to get it all here. To start I will say that the wave of Political Correctness [PC] is the root cause. Those who practice PC are the bleeding hearts who "do not want to offend anyone" which BTW has been used against America. Telephone recorded menus start with "Press 1 for English, it then goes into a recorded Spanish language saying if you want Spanish Press 2. In many US states if wanting to take a drivers license written test there is a choice of 8 languages. The above examples is PC in practice. There are many, many more examples which we can into as we go.
Sep 8, 2008 20:48
  • LEONARDO
>>Leonardo, I say your statement is wrong. There is NO anti-education in the US. Maybe you mean the Dumbing Down of Education. <<

Hey Remag1234,
I concluded the statement from (Guest42234)CLOUDHANDS' posts. She says <<Speaking from China, you may not be aware that there is a huge movement against education here in the USA. As a teacher I find this particularly frustrating. >>

I certainly hope my conclusion was wrong. As for the status quo of American education, I don't have much say on the topic since I don't live in the USA. The information I acquired is either from TV news or your fellow American citizens. I am eager to learn more authentic info from your native Americans. I hope that more and more Americans can enlighten me on the subject. I will be appreciative of your enlightenment.

Sep 12, 2008 17:25
  • REMAG1234
Leonardo,
I live in America, have friends who are teachers and others who work for the school system. Your information is dead wrong. That's the problem with the Internet and Forums. Too Much Misinformation.
Page 8 of 26    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do overseas Chinese men seldom marry western women?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code