Menu
My homestay experience in Beijing
Apr 12, 2008 07:36
  • ROSARY
Before coming to China to study Mandarin, I chose a homestay through Beijing Homestay Centre (www.beijinghomestay.com.cn) because I felt it would be the best way to help me learn Mandarin and gain an understanding of the Chinese. I wasn’t too keen on getting stuck in expat or foreign-student communities.

I joined them in January 2008. It’s a husband and wife couple – Liang and Jie, coming respectively from business and professional backgrounds. My homestay family’s apartment itself is very modern and nice, perhaps even better than many city apartments back in Australia!

In terms of study, living with the couple has been of immense help. Each day I’ll talk to them over breakfast and dinner, getting continual speaking and listening practice. They’ve also taught me a few scholarly and not-so-scholarly phrases or words that have come in handy in conversations outside. Simply put, just living with them has been a great impetus, particularly for wanting to bridge the gap between us and communicate effectively.

Living with Liang and Jie has also been very helpful in increasing my understanding of Chinese culture. One thing that has interested me in particular is their acceptance of various Chinese traditions – not least their faith in Chinese medicine, and at the same time their openness to influences from overseas and eagerness for progress. The way they think is definitely quite different from Westerners, but by no means have I found it “inscrutable”.

Spending a year with the family has given me a chance to go on a couple of holidays with them. The first was to Hunan Province last May, and the second to Tibet and Xinjiang in August. Both trips were outstanding. I got to see some splendid natural scenery and man-made sights, and joyful experiences that I continue to cherish.

It’s probably quite obvious by now that my relationship with Liang and Jie is very close. They’ve effectively welcomed me in as an important part of their lives and a good friend. They run family and work problems by me, asking for my opinion. I also discuss with them my own work and personal-life issues, and have frequently received some rather prudent advice. Often I’ll also visit or spend time with their extended family and friends, further increasing my circle of friends here in China.

From the start, Liang and Jie have been very helpful to me in adjusting to life in Beijing. They’ve taught me where to go find the amenities or things I need, and have even helped me gain a Chinese driver’s licence. In fact, every now and then, they also lend me their car!

All in all, I’d say my choice to arrange a homestay through Beijing Homestay Centre has worked out better than my expectations. Certainly it has proven an excellent way to improve my Mandarin and understanding of the Chinese; but perhaps more importantly, I’ve found it a tremendously rewarding experience, and it has created a very strong affection in my heart for the Chinese.

Tom
Australian student
Apr 21, 2008 21:55
  • MSAHUA
Hope you can tell your Australian friends about this story. Let them know the open China and open and well-educated young people in Beijing.
May 2, 2008 21:24
GUEST12018 Thanks-glad you had a great experience.
Jan 2, 2009 00:43
  • PINAY
Hi,

could you tell me how to contact the place? im going to beijing this month and i want to booked there.

Thanks

pinay
Jan 2, 2009 14:13
  • WANHU
Pinay
Use the website provided by Tom.

Wan

Wan
Nov 5, 2009 03:45
GUEST96233 wow,it's amazing. and if wanna another way of homestay, you can register the website www.homestayglobal.com and find some good homestayhosters,wish you good luck
Jan 6, 2011 21:07
  • WEIWEIBUAA
Hello

I'm a mother of a 13ys gril, we would like offer a 10sqmt to student who to be study in Beijing, please connect me by email:sina.com|weiweibuaa
Jan 17, 2013 18:55
GUESTGOODSAM... A friend of mine used a homestay service called beijinghomestay.co He was given a choice of three good families and chose the one closest to his workplace. Very good value for money I am told.
Post a Reply to: My homestay experience in Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code