Menu
Global Food Crisis
Apr 13, 2008 20:44
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
I hope this is already obvious: there is a global food crisis. Experts point out a variety of causes:

- Global warming
- Decrease in oil supply, resulting in the increase in production of biofuels
- Economic growth in many parts of Asia, resulting in the rise in meat consumption
- Decreasing fish catches
- Growing populations

Our current food supply is only good for around 60 days, which means that if a catastrophe hits a major food producing area of the world, prices can rise sharply, even sharper than it is already rising.

In my more than two years in China, I have seen food prices rise astronomically. I'm sure the same is happening in the rest of the world. At the present rate, more and more people will lose access to even basic food products, particularly the staples (rice, corn, wheat).

What should one do? Two things I can think of: want less and waste less. Also, I do hope everyone in our community can help spread awareness about this issue.
Apr 14, 2008 23:11
  • BBQQ
"What should one do? Two things I can think of: want less and waste less. Also, I do hope everyone in our community can help spread awareness about this issue."

Agree! Don't waste any food. Otherwise, you will be regretful one day when there is no enough food. Thanks for your post, muddiedknees!
Apr 15, 2008 01:42
  • LEON8ME
Hello MUDDIEDKNEES, I agree. It is happening EVERYWHERE. It is a GLOBAL crisis. The good earth feeds us all, and it is being dried up, blown away, washed down the gully, and paved over. I think a global focus on helping small, local farms and farmers will help. Also a focus on helping grain, vegetable, and fish farmers is a better idea than helping meat and biofuel farmers. The balance is difficult. Local is best. The shorter distance you have to transport the food, the more affordable the food will be.
Apr 17, 2008 10:42
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
Thanks for your input, Leon8Me. There are indeed many lifestyle changes that individuals and societies need to make in order to save what's left of the planet and ensure that it remains a healthy place to live in. This includes reducing our appetites for exotic foreign produce and connecting with local producers.

Bill McKebben wrote a great essay in National Geographic about this type of socially bound environmentalism, which he calls (not sure if he coined the phrase) 'convivial environmentalism'. If anyone has time, this is a very interesting and educational read:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0608/voices.html
Post a Reply to: Global Food Crisis
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code