Menu
Why do men seldom cry?
Apr 17, 2008 02:34
  • CHERRY07
Why do women cry frequently if they feel upset or unhappy? It is because their bodies are made by water. Just kidding. Seriously, a psychiatrist has found out that crying can help people vent their bad feelings. According to the statistics, women live longer than men, at least 5 to 10 years. Some experts say that crying is a factor that makes women live longer because their bad feelings have been vented out. If men want to live longer, they should cry more often. But the fact is that men seldom cry. Why do men seldom cry? Do they feel shamed when crying? Any gentlemen here would like to answer this question?
Apr 17, 2008 04:10
I'm quite good at keeping my emotions in check, but I'm not ashamed of crying, I had a few tears when I had to say goodbye to Jing when it was time to come home.
Alan
Apr 17, 2008 04:48
  • ZOEY
Many men were taught to be ironmen since they were young. Their parents always told them that a true man never shed tears. Unluckily, no man is made by iron. As a human, they have feelings, sometimes sad, sometimes happy. When they feel sad, they need to let bad feelings out. Men are no exception.
Apr 17, 2008 06:10
  • CARLOS
Yes, ZOEY, "Men don´t cry".

It is called "hidden education plan" (translated word by word from Finnish). At their early days children learn the stereotype of their sex, basically girls play with dolls, boys with cars. Girls cry, boys, men don´t.
Parents and other adults usually don´t plan to teach it, it is taught in every day normal actions. When need to move pulpits at school, boys are more often asked to do it, when need to wipe the blackboard, it is a job for girls more often than boys........

Carlos
Apr 17, 2008 15:40
  • CHYNAGYRL
Guys cry in secret when they are sad or stressed. I guess if they were to do it publicly, they might be seen as a wimp. One time a guy cried like a baby when I refused him (he wanted me to be his girlfriend). It was really weird. I thought that if he was grown up he could have just accepted my response rather than behave like a child. I think a lot of guys just suppress their feelings of disappointment or sadness, and maybe can only show it to their girlfriend or wife. Guy culture is pretty tough too -- they like to abuse each other verbally to show kinship rather than be kind and supportive like women are to each other.
Apr 17, 2008 21:00
  • BBQQ
CHYNAGYRL, that guy must love you deeply. That's why he cried.

" I think a lot of guys just suppress their feelings of disappointment or sadness, and maybe can only show it to their girlfriend or wife."

Agree! They just confide to those who are trustful. Men seldom cry. But when they cry, they must have met something very difficult to deal with. Thus, don't laugh at them. Just give them a shoulder that they can rely on.
Apr 17, 2008 21:42
  • LEONARDO
It reminds me of Andy Lau's song " Men Cry, Not Crime"( 男人哭吧不是罪Nán rén kū bā bù shì zuì). It is not a crime for men to cry! There is Chinese saying" 男儿有泪不轻弹,只因未到伤心处", which means Men only weep when deeply grieved. Men don't shed tears until it really hurts.
Apr 18, 2008 16:13
  • DAVEC
That is probably spot on. Men DO cry but not often and only when its really bad. If you make a man cry then you know its serious whereas women cry during films or listening to songs.

I have cried but not infront of others. Maybe whatever it is hurts more when I am alone.
Apr 21, 2008 01:43
I phoned Jing yesterday and after I had tears in my eyes because I miss her so much, I think Jing was crying too judging by the tone her voice.
Alan
Apr 21, 2008 22:11
  • LEONARDO
Cry, Smile, Depression, Excitement are part of human emotions. Men and women share the same emotion. Why try to deprive men of the rights to shed tears?

Alan, good job. No need to hide your emotion!
Apr 22, 2008 11:37
  • APAULT
Men don't live as long as men...true. But the reason is obvious isn't it? They are married to women who keep crying!
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do men seldom cry?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code