Menu
What do you think of "Honour Killing"?
Apr 28, 2008 01:57
  • JOHNNY512
An Iraqi girl fell in love with a British soldier and his father found this and murdered her at home. Eventually, her father was released by the police because they thought that his father just killed her in an "honour killing". Most Iraqis in Basra believe that it was a shame to fall in love with a British soldier who invaded their motherland. According to the news, the girl was called Rand Abdel-Qader. Qader's mother left his father after her daughter was killed.

It is said that about 133 women had been killed in Basra in 2007. Among them, 47 were killed in honour killing and only 3 murders were punished.

Photo source: Daily Mail.

Apr 28, 2008 21:27
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Oh, I don’t know. Is there anything honorable about killing your own child just because he/she fell in love with someone you don’t approve of? Is there anything honorable about killing your own child, period? But hey, that’s their belief/law/culture/whatever, what can we do?
Apr 28, 2008 21:41
  • BBQQ
Her father was too cruel. How could he kill his own daughter? On the other hand, it suggests that Iraqi people have strong hatred toward British and American invaders (for Iraqi people, they are invaders). I think that both UK and US should think about themselves carefully. What have they done toward Iraqi people?
Apr 28, 2008 22:00
  • JCNILE123
It is a Stone Age behavior, called murder, and the killers are murderous.

Worse of all, in many cases is done in the name of religion.
Apr 28, 2008 22:18
  • DODGER
Some “cultures” used to eat human flesh. Others used to hunt for heads. Others sold their own people as slaves. Some still circumcise their females.
None of this is the behavior of a cultured people.
As JC has said, this is the behavior of barbarians.
Dodger.

Apr 29, 2008 22:13
  • BBQQ
Yes, " this is the behavior of barbarians". After a second thought, I wonder what you would do if you were her father. For her father, he has strong hatred toward those people who invaded their courtry. Without those invaders, they might have had a stable and normal life. I guess that other Iraqis might do something toward this girl even if her father didn't kill her because they also hate Bristish and American soldiers.
Apr 30, 2008 08:43
  • DODGER
BBQQ,
this has nothing to do with the men being British or American. This girl is the property of her father untill he chooses a man for her. With or without the "invaders" her life would have been rubbish, and not a normal life as you have put it. What ever that means?
Dodger.
May 8, 2008 11:51
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
<<Worse of all, in many cases is done in the name of religion.>>

Does this mean Islamic fundamentalism is rising? Saddam was a murdering maniac, but he was actually one of the most secular leaders in the Middle East.

About the honour murders--it might be that the fathers consider their daughters and other women lesser beings. All womens should be given guns so they can protect themselves. Likewise, stupid people should stay away from religion because it makes them more stupid.
May 8, 2008 23:48
  • JCNILE123
(((stupid people should stay away from religion because it makes them more stupid.)))

The question is who is going to tell them so?
May 9, 2008 00:00
  • SGAYIWU
I think this "honour killing" is come out from religion and tradition.
1, Islamic religion. By the religion I can say nothing about it. I respect all religions. That also is Westen people wanted. religion free is it?
2, tradition. if there is a tradition in Iraq to do so. Nobody can force Iraq people to change their tradition. I think people only change their tradition if they want to, not be forced to. Is it apart of Human right? this will be a qeustion. father's right is there, but where is the poor girl's right?

May 9, 2008 04:58
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
<<<The question is who is going to tell them so?>>>

Their living sons and daughters? The next generations will know better. Let's all work together to make sure we give them a chance! =)
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you think of "Honour Killing"?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code