Menu
Can the earthquake "shake" China's economy?
May 14, 2008 21:39
  • JCNILE123
???

May 14, 2008 21:51
  • JIMMYB
"I am with Marrie, Shesgottobe and Alicia on their opinion and censuring of Jimmy's concerns about the economy and the market."

JC, as a Chinese, I am worried about people in the disaster areas too much. When I was watching the TV or photos, I was shedding tears. Also, I have donated some money although the number is trivial. I do hope that the earthquake will end earlier and more people will be rescued. However, the earthquake does impact China's economy and this can't be ignored. This is why I started this thread. I am not a cold-blooded man.
May 14, 2008 22:59
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I’m sure JimmyB doesn’t mean to come off as a cold-hearted man. It’s natural for me not to usually comment on any economy because economy is always cyclical. It goes up, down and up… meaning the economy may slump but it almost always recovers. Economy = money. Money = replaceable. However, a life is irreplaceable. Actually, what happened lets you appreciate that you are alive and to enjoy every moment because life is so fragile. One moment you are at the peak of your health, the next moment you are gone.
May 15, 2008 08:19
  • MUDDIEDKNEES
Many Chinese couples lost their only child in this tragedy. And this tragedy continues. People are still losing their loved ones. I work for a very large multinational company hiring the best and the brightest in China, and many of my colleagues in Chengdu are sleeping with their families in the streets because they are too afraid to stay in their homes.

I think the impact on the economy and individuals is obvious and will be felt for years.

May 15, 2008 18:04
GUEST21198 Ah, Jimmy, the reason the insurance companies lost 7% of their share value is that investors feel that they are about to face huge payouts, which has nothing to do with confidence in the overall economy...
May 25, 2008 21:47
GUEST46187 Does this mean that i cant get a massage or a CD DVD???
May 26, 2008 11:41
  • APAULT
I too, have sympathy for the tragedy, but I also note the World Bank study that says that 750,000 people die annually in China from drinking polluted water and breathing polluted air. How is it that we are not taking up collections for their families? It is like the sadness we feel for plane crash deaths yet the numbers are a fraction of those killed on the roads. It's a heart and head thing, the bottom line is we just ain't very rational! (for good or for bad)
May 28, 2008 21:24
  • JIMMYB
"Ah, Jimmy, the reason the insurance companies lost 7% of their share value is that investors feel that they are about to face huge payouts, which has nothing to do with confidence in the overall economy..."

Yes, GUEST21198. Actually, they needn't because those insurance companies haven't lost a lot of money. It is estimated that the losses caused by the earthquake might be up to 500 billion yuan. The central government has allocated about 70 billion to the disaster areas. Although huge economic losses have been caused by the quake, the economists estimate that it will have minimum impact on the whole economy.
Jun 10, 2008 06:26
  • HENRY915
Obviously the earthquake will not take affect to China's economy.Because the Wenchun area is not well developed ,Its GDP only take a little in China .
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can the earthquake "shake" China's economy?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code