Menu
Mistakes in tattoo's using a combination of traditional and simplified characters
Jun 21, 2008 22:40
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
I have seen this tattoo that has some errors in it because it is a mixture of traditional and simplified characters. My dad told me it confuses the reader but he didn't elaborate so I was wondering, if you saw these characters 鷹 击 長 空 yet the 長 should be 长 to be simplified, what would it read? and if it were the other way around where in traditional 鷹 击 長 空 the 击 should be 擊, what would that sequence read like?

Danny
Jun 21, 2008 22:50
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
5 points if you know who's tattoo and where the couplet originates.
Jun 22, 2008 22:11
  • ZOEY
In traditional Chinese, it is written as 鷹擊長空 (Ying 1 Ji 1 Chang 2 Kong 1). In simplified Chinese, it is 鹰击长空. By the way, 长(Chang 2) is a polyphone. You can read it as "Zhang 3" too. For example, you can say" 我长大了要当一名老师." In English, I want to be a teacher when I grow up.

Haha, I got the points. It is from "鹰击长空, 鱼翔浅底, 万类霜天竞自由 ", a poem made by Chairman Mao, which is called 沁园春*长沙 (Qin 4 Yuan 2 Chun 1 Chang 2 Sha 1). By the way, a TV series is also called 鹰击长空, which is about Chinese Red Army.
Post a Reply to: Mistakes in tattoo's using a combination of traditional and simplified characters
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code