Menu
Liu Xiang quits, what about these corporate sponsors?
Aug 19, 2008 03:04
  • DREAMLIFE
Liu Xiang quits from the 110 meter hurdles. This news is the hottest at present. Some people attack Liu Xiang while some support him. Here we are not going to talk this. What we are going to say is "Liu Xiang quits, what about these corporate sponsors?" Just in 2007, Liu Xiang became the spokesperson of 14 brands, such as Nike sneakers, Visa cards, Coke-Cola and Cadillacs. He even advertised for a Chinese tobacco company. How much did he earn? Over 23 millions yuan from the advertisements.

It is said that Liu Xiang has lost about 100 million yuan and these corporate sponsors have lost at least 3 billion yuan after Liu Xiang quits. Liu Xiang's pull-out has caused great losses to these corporate sponsors. However, these sponsors didn't criticize him very much. Instead, they stand by him and hope that he can get back very soon. Nike says that they won't change their plans but still promote Liu Xiang. After Liu Xiang quit, Nike immediately changed its ads.

It seems risky for these sponsors to back up single athletes. What do you think of the great losses? Will these sponsors abandon Liu Xiang?

Nike's news ad.

Aug 19, 2008 13:32
  • WCTMAN
In my humble opinion, Liu Xiang is finished as a pro athlete. After all, he no longer is the Olympic champion, or the world record holder anymore. In the world of pro sports, what counts is what you did today; yesterday is gone. He had a great career, and he can be proud of what he accomplished.
Aug 19, 2008 18:28
  • MARRIE
The rumor is he is supposed to withdraw , otherwise his sponsors could lose much more from his failure due to his injury.
Aug 19, 2008 21:51
  • JIMMYB
Marrie, I also heard of that too. Did you see the ad made by Visa card "刷新 12'88"? They hope Liu Xiang can break his record at Beijing Olympics. I don't if they prepare for Liu Xiang's failure. Now Liu Xiang quits, the ad is useless. About Nike's new ad, people praised it very much. Just in such a short time, they abandoned the previous one and made a new one. Very smart.
Aug 20, 2008 18:17
  • MARRIE
Jimmy, following the logics, any topics applies to economy head. Anything seems to be distorted by something. It is a comedy that Liu ran and quit if it's not a rumor.
Aug 20, 2008 22:01
  • BBQQ
If that rumour was true, those sponsors seemed to very mean. They only care about their money. Anyway, only Liu Xiang knew why he quit the game.
Sep 25, 2008 02:19
  • JESSICANDY
we should respect every decision made by people especially the one who had made great achievement to China before..what u gonna do?just need tolerant and forgiveness.Suppose if u were Liuxiang.R u willing to kill ur self in the Olympic?I guess nobody will take this at the cost of life....i look forward to the 2012 london Olympic Games.i am pretty sure Liuxiang will come back and bring us a brilliant achievement.Just trust him..
Post a Reply to: Liu Xiang quits, what about these corporate sponsors?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code