Menu
Romantic meal
Sep 21, 2008 03:42
  • DAVEC
I will be renting my own apartment while I am there, havent seen what the cooking facilities are yet. Supermarket close by I am assured, but have been lied to in the past.
Lets assume I have small cooker and maybe just access to a wok and utensils.
I could do some dishes that are eaten cold, prepare them before she arrives. Plus do the hot stuff at the time.
My previous experience has been cooking plenty for friends and family and years ago helped out in Chinese restaurant kitchen.
What I ideally want is some food that is not too heavy, tasty and sure to impress. Reason being my chemist was no help whatsoever.
Sep 21, 2008 06:58
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave - If you want to impress, then you need to do something western which she probably hasn't tried before. However, if you are limited to a pan on a stove then it clearly cuts down your options drastically. How about a nice salmon steak pan friend in garlic butter, served with some mash potato, caramelised onions, and sugar snap peas. You can easily get all those things in a big supermarket, and all can be done on the stove. You need to steer clear of strange things like cheese, and don't put too much butter in the mash, as most Chinese need to acquire the taste for such things first.

If you can get an oven, then something like Fisherman's Pie is easy to do with local ingredients - just don't use contaminated milk!

Also, if your lady likes wine, bring a bottle with you as it's not easy to get good stuff here.

For desert you can do something like a mango sorbet. All my Chinese girlfriends seem to love it, and it's easy to make (as long as you have a freezer!). Mangoes won't be in season actually, so maybe try peach instead. Or you could try a thick chocolate mousse made with eggs, cornflour, and milk. I have a great recipe which is easy to make in a pan, but you will have to get good quality chocolate to make it. No Chinese made chocolate is good enough - really needs to be swiss. You can get Lindt in Watsons sometimes.
Sep 21, 2008 12:43
  • DAVEC
Chocolate is not a problem, usually bring some of that with me for friends.
Spose I should check with her, does she fancy western food or Chinese.
Sep 21, 2008 21:44
  • BARONTWANGLE
Well this is the way I see it... 95% of all western food here in China is crap, and has very little relationship with how it should be. The 5% which is good is cooked by western chefs. You therefore have to assume the reverse is true, and that western people are crap at cooking Chinese food (even if we think we are good!). To us it might taste ok, but to a Chinese person it will be average at best. So if you cook Chinese, is she really going to be impressed? I would think unlikely.

You just need to think of a few easy dishes you can cook, and then check she likes the key ingredients. You can then make her something she has never tried before, which is much more likely to impress her. If she is not impressed by the food, then you need to go for broke and take off all your clothes and hope she is impressed with your other meat and veg!

Let me know if you want the choc dessert recipe. Needs to set overnight, or for at least a few hours. It's got a lovely thick clay like texture - perfect for smearing over naked flesh - oh stop it!

Sep 25, 2008 04:15
  • BBQQ
Dave, I have a question: Is she a Chinese or a westerner? If she is a westerner, you can cook some delicious Chinese dishes. I guess that she will be surprised and impressed by you and your delicious dishes.
Sep 25, 2008 12:20
  • DAVEC
She is Chinese.
I am sure she will be happy whatever I cook but I just want to make that little bit extra effort.
Sep 25, 2008 19:22
  • BARONTWANGLE
Dave - let's not pussyfoot around the issue here - what you really need to do is give her a good length of English sausage to sample?!!!
Sep 26, 2008 20:53
  • BBQQ
Dave, that's enough. No more extra effort. All you have to do is cook some delicious Chinese dishes and some English dishes. More importantly, you just let her feel that you do all of these things sincerely. I don't think it is a good idea to cheat her just as Dodger suggested. You know, if she finds out that you didn't make the dishes, all your efforts are useless. Even you succeed to cheat her this time. What about future? Are you going to cheat her in the rest of your life?

Sincerity is the most important. Just my view. If a boy cook some dishes for me sincerely, I will be moved by him no matter the dishes are delicious or not because I understand that he did this wholeheartedly.
Sep 26, 2008 23:14
  • DAVEC
Dont worry everyone meal is off.

My job as boyfriend is over, I got fired.

Oh well. hey, any of you single ladies out there want me to cook for you?
Sep 27, 2008 00:32
  • DODGER
Dave, sorry to hear the news about being fired.
Perhaps the Barron can line you up with an old flame of his?
Cheers, Dodger.
Page 3 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Romantic meal
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code