Menu
Tell me about Shenzhen
Sep 17, 2008 16:38
  • DAVEC
I have read 2 seperate travel guides and an online review of Shenzhen, they all say that it has high crime rate, especially towards foreigners ancluding mugging and kidnap.
How exaggerated is it? can it be that bad?
Sep 17, 2008 18:52
  • BILLCAI
High crime rate, especially towards foreigners ancluding mugging and kidnap in Shenzhen??? who said that? Shenzhen's social security situation is good, it is one of the most safest cities in China even in the world.
Sep 17, 2008 18:54
  • JACKAROO
DAVEC

I was in Shenzhen in February 2008, still warming up after that winter. I stayed at the Haitao Hotel in Shekou district. Chinese friends orgainsed this hotel for me as they thought that it would give me a chance to meet other foreigners. Shekou is known locally as "in the snakes mouth". It is a place where foreigners gather and therefore attracts types who want to make quick money off of them..

Opposite the hotel there were a line of small bars which had young attractive ladies sitting out the front. These ladies would be encouraging foreigners to come into their bar. I was told that foreigners could find themselves up for a 2,000 Yuan tab at the end of the night. There is also a section where there are a variety of foreign bars and restaurants including McCawleys Irish Bar with a rock band called 'Mind the Gap', an Italian restaurant and French patissere to give some examples. You Tube has videos of this area, type in Shekou or McCawleys Irish Bar or Mind the Gap into a search engine.. I was also taken to the main shopping centre in Shenzhen including a five story bookstore called City Books and a five story shopping centre. The shopping centre was a 30 minute ride to the subway and then about another 30 minutes to the shopping centre.

I had no problems in Shenzhen. I walked from McCawleys to the hotel at about 2.00 am one time (three klms) and no problems. I think Shenzhen is like any other place in the world, you just have to keep your wits about you. I felt very safe.
Sep 18, 2008 00:35
  • DAVEC
Sounds ok,
Even the travellers bible 'lonely planet', says this about Shenzhen. 'Shenzhen isnt a pleasant city, crime rate is high and visitors should be wary of walking alone after dark'
Sep 18, 2008 01:35
  • WANHU
I have been to Shenzhen a few times, and have stayed in four of the six districts, namely Nanshan, Bao'an, Futian and Luohu. I don't think Shenzhen is that bad where foreigners get mugged or kidnapped, maybe pickpocketed but definitely not mugged. I lost my pocket camera once in Dongmen before Christmas last year, well then I was not careful, because I put the camera in my jacket's pocket. It was Sony Cybershot 10.1 megapixels I bought in Japan. I was not careful then. Pickpockets are everywhere in big cities, not only Shenzhen. Through my experience in Shenzhen and Guangzhou, I tried my best to avoid crowded areas, but China is always crowded with people.

China has good and warm people. They are ever willing to assist, and showed me the way to Beijing University Shenzhen Hospital. I am thinking of writing a memoir under My Journey III for my trips to China if I have time.
Oct 23, 2008 08:12
  • JOSHIRV57
You know for a facto that Shenzhen is one of the safest cities in the world.It was not
mentioned in the top ten safest cities of the world,on the Internet news.Why? Must be
a safe place that no one knows about.Compared to Shenzhen,The other cities are also listed as safe.How is this accounted for?
Oct 23, 2008 08:17
  • JOSHIRV57
No one ever mentions riding on buses.Or why they usually always take taxis.Trying to avoid crowded areas in China is not too difficult.Just go at a off peak hour and
on a day when most are working,or after the comuter traffic is over. There are ways to avoid this rush.
Jan 24, 2009 05:32
GUEST44418 The propaganda never stops! Shenzhen has the highest crime rate in China, CIA fact . Look it up if you do not believe me!
Feb 26, 2011 04:43
GUEST10140
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST44418

The propaganda never stops! Shenzhen has the highest crime rate in China, CIA fact . Look it up if you do not believe me!

Hi, although I have not been to Shenzhen for the past 3-4 years, been there twice and find the place safe like any other modern city. In fact, if you have been to europe, milan, greece, etc. I feel more threatening!

More importantly, do not show off if you don't want to invite trouble even in Singapore!
Jul 22, 2011 16:45
GUEST48214 Shenzhen does have a high crime rate compared to other Chinese cities. However, Chinese cities are some of the safest in the world, so crime in Shenzhen is not that bad [as for muggings and abductions!]. However, there are quite a few beggars; though harmless, you should not give them money. Just be carefull about pickpockets and you'll have a great time!
Jul 22, 2011 21:47
  • BILLCAI
Seeing is Believing, when you go to Shenzhen, you will know how the city is. Wish you have a nice trip to Shenzhen.
Page 1 of 6    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tell me about Shenzhen
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code