Menu
Why do we kill each other in the name of God?
Sep 22, 2008 10:36
  • SETH
"Who did???? I never killed anyone ... etc."

Hi SHESGOTTOBE - sorry, I didn't mean to offend you personally! :-))

My question addresses the collective "we", as in humanity. Currently there seems to be lots of religious-inspired killing in the mid-East, and especially Islamic Republics. Terrorists kill and main their own Islamic brethren, similar to the Northern Ireland Catholic/Protestant killings years ago, where so-called Christians killed other Christians.

Maybe as a species we are all just weird, looking for any excuse to kill each other. Religion is as good a reason as any I guess. Another horrifying example is Hutu and Tutsi conflict during the 1990's.

"The deadly power of the split between Hutu and Tutsi in central Africa is witnessed not only by the genocide of more than half a million carried out by Hutu extremists against Tutsi and moderate Hutu in Rwanda in 1994, but also by a long list of massacres by extremists on both sides in recent years, in Rwanda, in Burundi, and in eastern Congo." (ref.: http://www.africaaction.org/bp/ethall.htm)

Here, it wasn't religion, but rather economic and ethnic differences. Because the Tutsi's are taller than the Hutu's, a favorite game of Hutu extremists was to cut off the feet and legs of Tutsi's to 'even the score'.

I am personally sick of all the hate in the world, and wish we could do something about it. But history and current events seem to be against me. :-((
Sep 22, 2008 18:58
  • BARONTWANGLE
Seth - don't worry about Shesgottobe. She is a typical American, who can't see things in the same way the rest of the world see them. They go around dictating, invading and killing people all over the world, often using God as their excuse. Then just like Shesgottobe, get all offended when you accuse them of it.

I think it is a very valid question, so no apology needed.
Sep 23, 2008 17:48
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Baron, why do you accuse everyone of the same sins that your ancestors did? You say, as Americans, and you already assumed I am American just because I am in America. Hohoho.... that's smart. :P, we go around dictating people, and yet you are telling me that I should see things YOUR way. You are the same as the people you claim to hate. Hypocrite.

Seth, no apologies needed as I am just talking about myself. As a whole, it's true that there are people killing other people but that shouldn't cloud the good deeds that other people are doing everyday.
Sep 23, 2008 20:03
  • JCNILE123
Dear friends please don’t be misled by radical’s non-believers zealots’ atheist, they are not that many as they vociferously claim to be, but sure they are noisy.

We the faith believers are and will be the majority, for years to come...UNTIL THE END.

IF THE SO CALL ATHEISTS HAVE DIFERENT VALID INFORMATION, I HOPE THEY SHARE IT WITH US; OR SHUT-UP.

About dead... worry not... everybody is born, and everybody dies, yes, you included.

Rate of change of Christians and Muslims:
Of the two largest religions, the "market share" of Christianity appears to be fairly constant:
• U.S. Center for World Mission estimated in 1997 that the percentage of humans who regard themselves as Christians rose from 33.7% in 1970 to 33.9% in 1996. 2 Its total number of adherents is growing at about 2.3% annually. This is approximately equal to the growth rate of the world's population. Islam is growing faster: about 2.9% and is thus increasing its market share.
• "World Christian Encyclopedia: A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200," estimates that as of 2000, Christians make up 33% of the world's population, with close to two billion followers.
• Author Samuel Huntington disagrees: "The percentage of Christians in the world peaked at about 30 % in the 1980s, leveled off, is now declining, and will probably approximate to about 25% of the world's population by 2025. As a result of their extremely high rates of population growth, the proportion of Muslims in the world will continue to increase dramatically, amounting to 20 percent of the world's population about the turn of the century, surpassing the number of Christians some years later, and probably accounting for about 30 percent of the world's population by 2025." 3
• The UK Christian Handbook has lower figures. They estimate that 28.3% of the world's population identified themselves as Christians in 1990. They expect this to drop to 27.7% by the year 2000, and to 27.1 in 2010. 4 They attribute the drop to the lower birth rate among Christians compared to followers of other religions.
Within Christianity, not all denominations have the same growth rate. Some annual growth rates are:
• Pentecostals: 8.1%
• Evangelicals: 5.4%;
• All Protestants: 3.3%
• Roman Catholics and Others: 1.3%
Sep 23, 2008 20:33
  • JCNILE123
WORLD RELIGIONS. WORLD %

CHRISTIANITY.............................................................3.039.000.000 32%

ISLAM...........................................................................1.226.000.000 19%

HINDUISM........................................................................828.000.000 13%

NO RELIGION...................................................................775.000.000 12%

CHINESE FOLK RELIGION................................................390.000.000 6%

TRIBAL RELIGIONS,
SHAMANISM, ANIMISM ...................................................322.000.000 4%

ATHEISTS (YES, THEY BELIVE
IN SOMETHING, THAT IS NOTHING).................................150.000.000 2% ONLY*

NEW RELIGIONS.............................................................103.000.000 -2%

SIKHISM............................................................................23.800.000 -1%

JUDAISM...........................................................................14.500.000 -1%

SPIRITISM..........................................................................12.600.000-1%

BAHA’I FAITH.......................................................................7.400.000 -1%

CONFUCIANISM...................................................................6.300.000-1%

JAINISM...............................................................................4.300.000-1%

ZOROASTRIANISM...............................................................2.700.000-1%

SHINTO...............................................................................2.700.000-1%

TAOISM..............................................................................2.700.000-1%

OTHER...............................................................................1.100.000-1%

WICCA...................................................................................500.000-1%

As I said before... a noisy 2%.*
Sep 23, 2008 22:00
  • BARONTWANGLE
JCNILE is a typical Christian who distorts the facts to suit himself (just like they all do with the bible). If you look at the real religious population breakdown (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religious_populations), you will see that JCNILE is only fooling himself. He is clearly making things up (just like in the Bible).

Notice how all his quoted sources are Christian based!

Also, notice his noisy accusations of Atheists. Yet he is the one WHO TYPES IN CAPITALS BECAUSE HE IS SHOUTING!

Also notice the way he splits Atheists and "Non religious" into 2 separate categories to get 14% down to 2%.

Just like Jesus Christ - JCNILE is a fraud and a joker.
Sep 23, 2008 22:14
  • JCNILE123
He, he a lot of bla, bla and no facts.

Where are the facts?

As matter of fact, to help your knowledge, I am one of the 775.000.000 12% with no religion individuals.

I only believe on GOD.

Any way, I think Jcnile is the only individual that has the power to spin you, to RE-act.

To be honest, I enjoy it!
Sep 23, 2008 22:40
  • JCNILE123
Wikipedia...that is the education center where my mule got its degree.
Sep 23, 2008 22:48
  • JCNILE123
Quote,
(((Yet he is the one WHO TYPES IN CAPITALS BECAUSE HE IS SHOUTING!)))

He, he, I heard you, thanks’!

I spin you!
Sep 24, 2008 21:42
  • BARONTWANGLE
JCNILE - I am not sure who you think you are spinning, but it sure isn't me. And you didn't mention which God you believe in (or as you put it - "on"!)? Thor? Zeus? Eros?

You should learn proper English too.
Page 2 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why do we kill each other in the name of God?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code