Menu
Effects of the One-Child Policy
Oct 8, 2008 20:11
  • JSUMMERS83
I recently read an article on the Jarkarta Post stating that now after two generations of the one-child policy we are beginning to see what affects it has on people. One such affect is a loneliness resulting in an incredibly high use of social networks on the internet such as Friendster or Facebook as a replacement for actual relationships. Internet addition is becoming a problem.

To top it all off, the article quote a Harry Hui who referenced a survey done in China that says "the mobile phone is more important than boyfriends or girlfriends for 90 percent of the younger generation".

What do you think? If you disagree, how do you think the one-child policy is affecting China's youth?
Oct 8, 2008 20:28
  • JIMMYB
Jsummer, Internet addition is really a problem now. I got the news that some young guys die suddenly in the net bars. You kow what happened to them. They played e-games in the net bar for too long and didn't have a good rest and then they died. What a pity.

"the mobile phone is more important than boyfriends or girlfriends for 90 percent of the younger generation".

My first time to know that "the mobile phone is more important than boy friends or girlfriends", hehe. But cell phone has been playing a big role in our lives. Many people are addicted to their cell-phones just as drugs. If they go outside without their cellphones, they will feel very uneasy. They just feel that somebody will call them but actually no one calls them. So sad.

As for one-child policy, it has the pros and cons. Undoubtedly, it has contributed too much to control China's population. However, there are some problems too. There are so much criticism about them: selfish, uncaring about other people etc. As you can see, the parents spoil their kids too much since they only have one kid. This isn't good.
Oct 10, 2008 08:42
  • J65SMITH
"One such affect is a loneliness resulting in an incredibly high use of social networks on the internet such as Friendster or Facebook as a replacement for actual relationships. Internet addition is becoming a problem."

In the US there is more than one child and the same situation appears. I think that people have less fear of rejection in their virtual lives and thus plunge into them. Here is to hoping that they eventually mmet someone and go offlineto enjoy life. I sy that as I sit here interacting online with my morning coffee.
Mar 24, 2009 12:12
GUEST13250 i think the one child policy is great because it accomplished the goals that were set for it. It also plays an important role with the economy.
Mar 26, 2009 12:06
  • WANHU
With one child policy the world will soon forget about cousins, uncles, aunts.
Wan
Mar 29, 2009 18:49
  • GRIZ326
The unintended consequences of the one child policy are serious: not as many children to support the previous generation; selfish and spoiled people; weakening of family ties; unbalanced male:female ratios and more.

My Irish grandmother used to say, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions." ...fortunately, China is resilient as it is wise; the problems will be overcome.

Mar 31, 2009 20:08
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Nature has a way of telling us when we are messing with it. Before the Black Plague in Europe, people killed cats thinking they are working for witches. The population of cats dwindled, rat population exploded. In some areas of the world, people killed frogs and other insect eating animals, the population of mosquitoes surged. The balance of ecosystem is very important. If we don't mess with genders, the ratio is pretty much close. Weird, huh?
Apr 2, 2009 22:25
GUEST6653 One Child policy is necessary. China already has a population of 1.3 billion. If we don't do nothing to control the population, severe consequences will come.
Jul 27, 2009 22:34
GUEST13378 I strongly disagree with the one child policy! The forced abortions and infancide that is going on ever day makes me sick to think about. Who has the power to decide who can only have one child and who can have more! Imagine what it feels like to be that child that is just abandoned like a piece of trash,and suffers for many hours or even days before they die. If we don't stand up against this who will. Were is the voice for the innocent. Only god has that power to choice. And may god have mercy on their souls the day that they face judgment.
Sep 27, 2009 13:24
GUEST99251 If China didn't use the one child policy, a few things would've happened. Number 1: The population would explode, possibly in the 2 billion to 3 billion margin. Number 2: China would be so overpopulated that people just couldn't live there anymore. Number 3: The chinese people would move to other regions of the world, making all the other ethnicities a minority. Number 4: The chinese would rule the world!!
Nov 4, 2009 13:05
GUEST07227 I feel discusted at the amount of baby girls bein killed. Sexist much!
Page 1 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Effects of the One-Child Policy
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code