Menu
5 yuan moral cost, ask for it or not?
Oct 12, 2008 01:24
  • JIMMYB
If you find a credit or debit card in the ATM, will you return it back to the owner? If "Yes", will you ask for reward from the owner?

A college student in Changchun found a debit card in an ATM. After struggling, he decided to give it back to the owner. However, he asked for 5 yuan as reward. To be exact, he called "moral cost". He thought that the owner should pay the "moral cost" for him. If he didn't give it back, he could get 2500 yuan. But he didn't keep the debit card.

What do you think? Should he ask for 5 yuan from the owner as "moral cost"?

Before giving your answer, please have a look at how other people react to this: One side think that he should ask for reward from the owner because the owner wouldn't get back his debit card if the college student chose to keep it. The other side insists that he shouldn't ask for 5 yuan as "moral cost". "Return money found to the owner" is a good Chinese traditional virtue. If money reward is involved, our traditional virtue will be jeopardised.

Oct 12, 2008 02:14
  • DAVEC
I have found cards in cash machines, I have found wallets with £100s in. I returned them to their owners but never asked for anything in return.
If they give me something for my honesty then that is their choice.
I only hope if I ever forget or lose my cards or cash that the person who finds them is as honest as me.
Oct 12, 2008 04:14
  • WCTMAN
This idiot goes from hero to zero in record time. The rightful owner should have agreed to this "moral charge", arranged a meeting, and had this lowlife arrested for theft.
Oct 12, 2008 06:16
  • WANHU
If he thinks kindness and honesty cost 5 yuan, then he should charge it. Yes, if the owner rewards him, he should accept without reservations. Is 5 Yuan worth as a moral value?
Oct 12, 2008 08:55
  • YINDUFFY
As a courtesy the person who lost the card should at least thank the person who found it. Any kind of reward would be welcome but it would be rude to ask for one. Doing a good deed should be expected not a profitable act.
Oct 12, 2008 09:43
  • LOVEISVERB
Quote:
"One side think that he should ask for reward from the owner because the owner wouldn't get back his debit card if the college student chose to keep it."
unquote
The reason and result don't match here, HE SHOULD ASK FOR REWARD because THE OWNER WOULDN'T GET BACK HIS DEBIT CARE IF .....??
That's weird logic, OR, not logical at all.

Quote:
"Return money found to the owner" is a good Chinese traditional virtue. If money reward is involved, our traditional virtue will be jeopardised. " unquote
Tell me plz any non-Chinese people taking the opposite(not returning what they found to the owner) as the traditional virtue. :)))))
Oct 12, 2008 19:57
  • JIMMYB
Tell me plz any non-Chinese people taking the opposite(not returning what they found to the owner) as the traditional virtue. :)))))

From what you wrote, I guess that you are not a Chinese. Did you have such a bad experience before?
Oct 12, 2008 22:26
  • GRIZ326
I found a wallet once with a substantial amount of cash in it. I returned it. I must confess that I felt wronged when the owner took the wallet back with a lukewarm thank you - as if I stole it. Were I to find another wallet filled with cash, the previous experience may influence me.
Oct 12, 2008 22:41
  • LEONARDO
This freak should have charged more. Didn't he know that he was degrading himself by asking for only 5 yuan. His morality costs only 5 yuan. He is cheap. If I have the honor to pick up this freak's wallet, I would charge 1 billion yuan for "moral cost". If he would ask why the price is so high, I would say " my morality does not sell; you want to buy it? You should first make sure that you can afford it."
Oct 13, 2008 01:10
  • LEOPOLD219
Haha, there is another explanation. Simply, he will be popular on the internet. Now we all know that a college student asked for 5 yuan as moral cost from a guy who lost his debit card. He has achieved his purpose.
Oct 13, 2008 23:09
  • DODGER
To badly paraphrase the Jew in “The Merchant of Venice” “if you steal my money you take nothing, but if you damage my reputation and honour you leave me a very poor Man”
Like Leonardo, mine is not for sale either.
I lost my wallet once. I left it on the roof of my car and then drove off. A day latter I took a call from the Man who had found it in the middle of the road! It contained my passports, money and credit cards.
I offered some money as I thought that was the right thing to do. He refused as it was beneath his dignity.
Good deeds are always rewarded but not necessarily in the way or from the direction that we expect.
Dodger.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: 5 yuan moral cost, ask for it or not?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code