Menu
Can my kid have my surname?
Oct 22, 2008 02:15
  • KUNGFUPANDA
Whose surname should our kid follow? Can I let my kid follow my surname? Traditionally, if a couple has a baby, their baby usually follow his/her father's surname. But some young mothers don't agree to this.

"It is I who carried my baby for ten months and the ngave birth. Why can't I let my kid follow my surname?" A mother said. It is reasonable, right? However, his husband's parents don't agree. "Following his father's surname is a tradition and you should abide by this. And you married to my son so it is natural that your kid follow his father's surname."

Is there a way to solve this dispute? A professor in Fudan University offers his suggestion: If your kid is a boy, he should follow his father's surname. If your kid is a girl, she can have her mother's surname.

What do you think of this idea? By the way, whose surname does your kid follow in your country, his/her father or mother?
Oct 22, 2008 04:40
  • BBQQ
Can my kid have my surname? Of course. Why not?

What do you think of this idea? It might not be a good idea. Why can't I have my son have my surname? What if two sides compromise? They can let their kid have both their surnames, I mean, creating a compound surname. One of my classmates in college had such kind of a compound surname "Zheng He".
Oct 22, 2008 08:24
  • JCNILE123
In the USA it used to be that the father's last name taking over after marriage, now days because of the empowering of woman and the influx of other cultures from around the world it is common to see a person with the two last names Example (Lee-Farley).
A single mother in the USA can have her last name as the child last name, not a problem.
In Spain and Latin American countries it is a rule of thumb two last names, the wife will drop the last (last name) for the spouse’s first last name after the ritual of marriage.
The children of this marriage will have the fathers first last name and mothers first last name officially and legally, problem solve....
In Spain and Latin America a child with one last name or the same last name twice (Example Arias Arias) was the child of a single mother where the father refused to give his last name to the new born child.
I think this have changed to a certain order.
Perhaps this Chinese mother can add mother and father last name together as the child last name, so the two families can be satisfied.

Oct 22, 2008 08:58
  • CARLOS
I find that playing with surnames ridiculous.
After change the name law here can sometimes see women having quite amusing surnames when they have taken own and husbands name.
(eg. Vuorensola-Kallioniemi) Surnames here are often quite long and two names will then make it very long.

Again in the name of ... something... things are only made complicated.
Of course there are different habits in different cultures, that´s why my wife still has her father´s surname.

Carlos
Oct 22, 2008 20:47
  • JIMMYB
I find that playing with surnames ridiculous.

Carlos, it is a serious issue in China. If it is ridiculous, the parents needn't argue on this issue. According to the marriage law, a newborn can have the surname of either the father or the mother. It is inexplicit. BBQQ has offered a solution: the kid can have both his/her father and mother's surnames. The marriage law didn't say that it was illegal to do this.
Oct 22, 2008 21:32
  • DODGER
An interesting question.
Some in the west choose to hyphenate their name to add the Mothers. Which one goes first though?
I chose to give my oldest Son the family name (Sir name) of his mother as a second Christian name so the name would not be lost.
I also gave my younger Son the family name of my Father as a second Christian name as I have a different Sir name.
Our family names are our heritage so I can understand why women would want to preserve theirs.
“What’s in a name?”
Dodg
Oct 23, 2008 09:08
  • CARLOS
"Carlos, it is a serious issue in China."
Yes, Jimmy, that´s my point when I wrote my wife still have her father´s surname. If my wife were Finnish she would have mine.

Here in Finland child will have father´s surname automatically. At hospital when child is born and have no name yet, a band is put to wrist. Band says boy/girl "father´s surname", birth day, time, child´s height and weight.

Still, there are some exeptions too.

Carlos

Oct 24, 2008 04:46
GUEST2540 Haha, easy to handle. Just flip a coin to decide whose surname the kid follow. Just kidding! I notice that people in many countries choose their kids to follow their fathers' name. Is this what we have in common? To be fair, their kids can have both of their parents' surnames or don't have to follow their surnames. When the kids become adults, they can choose whatever they like.
Oct 24, 2008 05:04
  • CARLOS
Traditions.

What´s wrong with traditions?

Carlos
Oct 27, 2008 21:10
  • JIMMYB
Carlos, it is the people who create tradition so that peoeple can change tradition too. Those mom are trying to change the old tradition and making a new one. One day, you might see that all kids have their mothers' surnames. Don't be surprised,hehe.
Dec 12, 2008 13:21
GUEST72152 I wanned to know, would i be able to give my baby my mothers original maiden name from before she got married as i am wanting to change my surname aswell, but my baby is due in less than 2 weeks.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Can my kid have my surname?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code