Menu
What do you think of this?
Nov 23, 2008 00:57
  • KATRINA
Can you play mahjong? I can't play it. Do you know who invented mahjong? Someboy told me that it was Zheng He who invented mahjong.Is this true?

Recently, Janpan has been busy with applying mahjong as their non-material cultural heritage. Before Japan, South Korea has made Dragon Boat Festival as their non-material cultural heritage and this has made Chinese people angry. If Japan succeeded, Chinese people would be furious, I guess.

What do you think of this? Chinese people should be furious about this?

Nov 23, 2008 01:33
  • WANHU
Zheng He was a famous Muslim sea fairer in the 15th century, I am told. Mahjong or majiang is a game involves with skills, strategy and mathematics but also is associated with stakes and gambling. Thus probably the game does not originate from him. Many historians believed that it was based on a Chinese card game called madiao or ma tiae, so just because Zheng He's birth name is Ma doesn't mean he created majiang.

It is believed that mahjong was developed by the great thinker, Confucius but no tangible proof was brought forth.

Sometimes there are some similarities in culture, but again it doesn't mean one imitates the other. Eating rice is renowned in Indonesia, and so is in China, does that mean Indonesians imitate Chinese?

Wan

Wan
Nov 23, 2008 03:29
  • ZOEY
I think that Chinese people should think about this issue carefully. China should learn from South Korea to inheritate, protect and promote their culture heritage. It is stupid to realize something important after you losing it.
Nov 23, 2008 04:41
  • CARLOS
Mahjong is invented by Kim Il-sung while he still was alive. He invented it while he was playing tennis against eight top players same time (he did beat them 13 - 0 (only he can do that in three games, others may win 3 - 0, but not him)). With his left hand he wrote down the instructions manual for the thing he invented when playing 1. game. We know it as a computer now.

Believe? If not, I will then lie some more.

Carlos
Nov 23, 2008 19:37
GUEST3985 Kim Il-sung? Who is he?

Believe? If not, I will then lie some more.

Carlos, I'd like to hear all of your stories about mahjong. Interesting! Seriously, can you play mahjong?
Nov 25, 2008 00:38
  • WANHU
Kim Il-Sung was an ardent football player from the land of the unkwon, and liked to gamble a lot, and later become a night club singer... according to Newsmonth (another version of Newsweek)

Dear Guest3985
Kim Il-Sung was a Prime Minister and President of North Korea that passed away in 1994. A great leader. Some people and political analyses consider his as a dictator.
Wan
Nov 25, 2008 00:42
  • WANHU
should be read as: the land of the unknown not unkwon
Nov 25, 2008 20:24
  • ZOEY
should be read as: the land of the unknown not unknown.

What does this mean, Wanhu?
Nov 26, 2008 19:44
  • JIMMYB
No matter who invented mahjong, it has become a gambling tool. This is very sad. It should be an entertainment tool.
Nov 27, 2008 02:39
  • WANHU
Dear Zoey
If you read my first response, I had mistakenly typed unkwon instead of unknown
Nov 27, 2008 12:11
  • CARLOS
Guest, seriously, I have only a clue about playing mahjong. I mean there sure is a way to play it cleverly, but I donĀ“t understand it despite those many times I have watched my lao po playing it on line.

Oh, seriously, you did not know Kim Il-sung?

"A great leader. Some people and political analyses consider his as a dictator."
Wan, there was some irony in that, eh?

Carlos
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you think of this?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code