Menu
Do you think they can get married?
Nov 24, 2008 22:11
  • ZOEY
Two cousins fell in love and intended to get married. However, the local civil affairs bureau refused to proceed marriage procedure for them. According to Chinese marriage law, marriage between blood relatives is forbidden. The civil affairs bureau did the right thing.

The cousins didn’t accept this. The girl went to the hospital and had a sterilization operation. Then they went to the civil affairs bureau. Sadly, they were refused again. So they sued the civil affairs bureau for intervening in their freedom of marriage. But the court turned down their appeal according to the marriage law. The court said that the law regulated that marriage between blood relatives was forbidden. Even the girl had the sterilization operation, they still couldn’t get married according to the law.

What do you think? Can they get married?

Nov 24, 2008 23:26
  • MICECHOW
sometimes , the law is not so stand to sense. maybe we have better face the truth,for our ofterworld~
Nov 24, 2008 23:34
  • GERRY3999
I vote no to cousins being permitted to marry. We must draw the line somewhere.

Incest refers to any sexual activity between closely related persons (often within the immediate family) that is illegal or socially taboo. Some societies consider it to include only those who live in the same household, or who belong to the same clan or lineage; other societies consider it to include "blood relatives". Consensual incest between adults is criminalized in most countries.
Nov 25, 2008 00:25
  • WANHU
In some countries, such as Indonesia and Malaysia, marrying between cousins are allowed but discouraged. Only siblings are prohibited. With one child policy in China, new generations will hardly have cousins.

Wan
Nov 25, 2008 12:22
  • CARLOS
"I vote no to cousins being permitted to marry. We must draw the line somewhere."
I agree that. Flexible lines only cause problems. Better to know exactly what can do or what can´t. There have and will always be people who try to find pig holes from different laws. If courts begin to read the law different it is written, good buy peaceful days.

"sometimes , the law is not so stand to sense. maybe we have better face the truth,for our ofterworld"
That is exactly what I mean. Giving "rights" to minorities only because they are minorities and it is so "human" to think like that. We have seen where it takes us. Two men can get married officially and perhaps in some countries they can even adopt a child. Freedom for all!!

Carlos
Nov 25, 2008 12:23
  • CARLOS
I am a little tired today....

Carlos
Nov 25, 2008 16:25
  • FIFTYPOUNDER
I do not understand,is it illegal for them to marry and therefore not to live together and have an 'intimate' relationship or is it just illegal for them to marry with no provision to stop them having a common law relationship?

BY the way i am sure that it is legal here in the uk for first cousins to marry. I could of sworn that my friend at senior school was the product of a marriage from first cousins.
Nov 25, 2008 22:04
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Maybe I am a little judgmental but.... if your prospective life partner is your cousin..... maybe you need to get out a little bit more.... meet more people.... attend gatherings.... not just family reunions. o_O
Nov 25, 2008 23:02
  • DODGER
I’m with Carlos on this one. A first cousin; that is the child of your Father of Mothers’ sister or brother is just a little too close.
Moreover, yes, homosexual men are now adopting children in the UK. It’s call equal opportunity?
Fifty, my understanding is that it is against the law for couple to cohabite in China unless legally married, but I stand to be corrected.
Dodger.
Nov 26, 2008 03:28
  • GAFFER
No European country actually prohibits marriage between first cousins. It is also legal throughout Canada and Mexico. The USA is the only western country with cousin marriage restrictions but not in every state. It is estimated that at least 55% of British Pakistanis are married to first cousins and the tradition is also common among some other South Asian communities and in some Middle Eastern countries. Here is a comprehensive list of who can marry whom in the UK http://www.genetic-genealogy.co.uk/Toc115570145.html#Toc115570255

With modern day "relationships" and their offspring, especially in showbiz land, the genetic problem of marrying an unknown blood relative must be quite complicated.
Nov 26, 2008 19:35
  • JIMMYB
The 1950 marriage law didn't say that the cousins could't get married. In 1980, the marriage law in China was revised. According to this newly-revised law, "if the man and the woman are lineal relatives by blood or collateral relatives by blood up to the third degree of kinship, they are not allowed to get married." As for the reason, if they get married, their children are very likely to suffer some kind of genetic diseases. From this angle, the civil affairs bureau and the court were right.

However, it is inhuman to force them apart. Their love for each other is pure. Marriage is byproduct of love. As long as they love each other, they can be together. The only problem is that the current society ethics doesn't allow this. Maybe, they need a time machine to bring them back to the ancient times. There no one would blame them.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you think they can get married?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code