Menu
Do you often use MSG?
Dec 3, 2008 01:15
  • XIAOXIAO
Many Chinese prefer to use MSG to flavour the dishes. But I heard that using MSG too much was not good for your health. By the way, I read an article. It says that American people seldom use MSG when cooking. Is this true?

Dec 3, 2008 03:50
  • GAFFER
It seems that "high" doses of MSG can cause health problems in some people, (migraine, asthma, irritable bowel symptoms, difficulty sleeping, heart palpitations, pseudo heart attack, heart arrhythmia, numbness, irritability, restlessness) and children are more vulnerable to the effects of additives than adults, but MSG is found in many commercially made foods. Follow this link to see the facts http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/factsheets/FactMSG.htm
Dec 3, 2008 08:13
  • JABAROOTOO
I personally suffer from mild symptoms after eating too much MSG. It has been removed from many products on the Australian market and foods must state if it contains MSG and in what quantities. It is definitely not good for any ones health and it surprises me just how much s used in Chinese food when there are so many other wonderful herbs and spices available.

It was introduced to China by the Japanese in the early 1920th century but it has taken a solid grip on the gastronomic world of Chinese Cuisine
Dec 3, 2008 19:58
  • KATRINA
Eating too much MSG is bad for your health. "Your black hair willl become white." Someone told me this. Is this true?
Dec 3, 2008 20:54
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I personally don't use MSG when cooking. As far as I know in America, it is not considered good to consume too much of it. Products have to be labeled if they contain MSG. Americans don't use it a lot as far as I know. I don't think they sprinkle MSG on hamburgers, pizza or steaks. Not that hamburgers, pizza and steaks are healthy foods. O_o They use various kinds of herbs and spices though.
Dec 4, 2008 02:17
I noticed a Chinese Restaurant in London advertising the fact they do not add MSG to their food so maybe they have listened to the customers, as they say in London " leave it out " he he
Alan
Dec 4, 2008 20:28
  • LEOPOLD219
Chinese people seem to prefer MSG. They use MSG or chicken essense frequently when cooking. Do you eat Tie Dan Sliced Noodles in Chicken Soup? It is delicious but contains much MSG.

This is Tie Dan Sliced Noodles.

Dec 4, 2008 21:33
  • SHESGOTTOBE
MSG makes food very delicious, that I know. That's why it is very tempting to use it a lot.
Dec 9, 2008 20:23
  • WANHU
In my country the most renowned brand is Ajinomoto. Most Malay, Thai and Chinese restaurants are using MSG as food enhancer in their cuisines. A lot of studies being conducted about the darker side of MSG, including consumer organisations. One thing for sure it causes hair loss, and bad for people with hypertension, because it is salt that doesn't taste salty.
Wan
Dec 10, 2008 12:45
In my country the most renowned brand is Ajinomoto. Most Malay, Thai and Chinese restaurants are using MSG as food enhancer in their cuisines. A lot of studies being conducted about the darker side of MSG, including consumer organisations. One thing for sure it causes hair loss, and bad for people with hypertension, because it is salt that doesn't taste salty.
Wan

That explains why I have so little hair now, too much MSG! he he
As for the hypertension it could be more serious, I used to suffer from Angina and had a mild heart attack about 9 years ago, thankfully I appear to be over that provided I keep my calm.

Alan
Dec 11, 2008 10:18
  • WANHU
So be careful Alan, or you'll end up becoming a rich man -- with gold stents in your heart.
Wan
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Do you often use MSG?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code