Menu
Buying gifts
Jan 2, 2009 20:13
  • MARRIE
So your girl friend is from HuBei province. I am not quite sure current marriage custom there. My cousin marrige ritual with a german guy is quite simply in my home city: a dinner with a couple of close relatives in restaurant, they gain since red envelopes are well exceed of dinner costs.

Gifts suggested might be helpful considering geographic preference: perfume for women, 555 cigarettes from UK for smoker, european chocolates, french wine ( chinese alchoholic prefer chinese strong liqor to western one, therefore british whisky is the second choice, but irish cream is not bad), overseas coins and stamps for those with collection hobbies.

Jan 15, 2009 20:38
  • BRUTUS
An alarm clock for each one would be a brilliant idea! lol
Jan 16, 2009 03:33
  • BBQQ
An alarm clock for each one would be a brilliant idea! lol

Good idea? It is not auspicious to send a clock to your friends. Brutus, you said you were a Chinese. I am wondering if it is true. Did you send a clock to your friend?
Jan 16, 2009 23:28
  • GRIZ326
I'm probably way late on this Dave, but I let my gal decide how much to put in the red envelopes for her parents. I put a substantial amount of money on the table in her apartment and told her I wanted to give an appropriate gift. She chose 200 RMB for each parent. Later, my Chinese Mother requested a bill of every denomination of American money which I gave to each of my Chinese parents. Today I help my Chinese brothers take care of the parents financially. Nothing has seemed like too much of a burden yet - EXCEPT - for the Western Union online money transfer fees!
Jan 17, 2009 02:16
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Sending a clock to your friend is very rude. In Chinese, 送终(attending the burial of a deceased relative or friend) has same pronouncation as 送钟(sending a clock). Similarly, you shouldn't share a pear with other people because 分梨(sharing a pear)is pronounced in the same way as "分离" (separation).
Jan 17, 2009 04:02
  • DAVEC
Not too late Griz, I am just preparing the last bits for my trip. Fly out on friday.
Jan 17, 2009 05:00
  • GAFFER
I mentioned in a previous message that I was making a calendar of family photos for prospective parents inlaw. At the same time I made one for my partner as a surprise, using photos of her and us together at the various places we have visited. This has proved to be the best gift I have given her (regardless of cost). She was absolutely delighted and is happily showing this simple and inexpensive gift to (and probably boring) all her friends. So remember guys, it isn't the cost of the gift that counts it is the thought and effort behind it. The only problem is, how do I better it next time?
Page 3 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Buying gifts
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code