Menu
Prawns + Vitamin C=Poison?
Jan 11, 2009 21:02
  • JIMMYB
Last Sunday, I watched a movie called Deadly Delicious. In that movie, the husband had an extramarital affair with another woman. He thought his wife didn’t know but actually she already knew this. To revenge, she found that woman and taught her to cook delicious food for her husband. Sounds strange, isn’t? The wife taught that women to cook some food that were really good for her husband’s health. Then she cooked some food that could destroy his health after he came back. One of the dishes she cooked for her husband was fried prawns. This dish almost killed his husband. She knew that his husband had Vitamin C so that she cooked prawns for him.

Why? Prawns +Vitamin=Poison. The arsenic pent oxide in the prawns reacts with vitamin C to produce arsenic trioxide, which is very poisonous.

I searched to confirm if it this was true. The result was not satisfying. Some one said “Yes” while others said “No”. So I am wondering if you guys can give me the answer.

Jan 12, 2009 01:16
GUESTITS Rubbish; i always taken and continue to take mega dosage of vit C (1000mg) even after dining on seafood containing jumbo size prawns. Still living healthy!
Jan 12, 2009 21:19
  • ZOEY
GUESTITS? Are you kidding? I searched much info and most told me that you shouldn't have Vitamin C and prawns together.
Jan 15, 2009 08:10
  • LESBUB
Vitamin C is a harmless vitamin whilst providing some benefits it is IMPOSSIBLE to overdose on, any surplus amount is simply not absorbed by your body.
Jan 16, 2009 03:48
  • BBQQ
Zoey, I got the same info like you. Thus, I am not going to try them.
Jan 18, 2009 21:53
  • GRIZ326
I did a web search and came up with this post from the Internet debunking site called Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/shrimp.asp

It says that prawns + vitamin C does not equal arsenic poisoning.
Jan 19, 2009 18:58
GUEST74135 Marine organisms normally contain arsenic residues ranging from < 1 to more than 100 mg/kg, predominantly as organic arsenic species such as arsenosugars (macroalgae) and arsenobetaine (invertebrates and fish). Bioaccumulation of organic arsenic compounds, after their biogenesis from inorganic forms, occurs in aquatic organisms. Bioconcentration factors (BCFs) in freshwater invertebrates and fish for arsenic compounds are lower than for marine organisms. Biomagnification in aquatic food chains has not been observed. Background arsenic concentrations in freshwater and terrestrial biota are usually less than 1 mg/kg (fresh weight).

With the exception of fish, most foods contain less than 0.25 µg/g arsenic. Many species of fish contain between 1 and 10 g/g. Arsenic levels at or above 100 µg/g have been found in bottom
feeders and shellfish. Both lipid- and water-soluble organoarsenic compounds have been found but the water-soluble forms constitute the larger portion of the total arsenic content. The nature of
these compounds has been shown to be mainly of the quaternary arsonium type. As was mentioned above, arsenobetaine is believed to be the most predominant species, but recent Canadian results demonstrated a higher level of arsenocholine than arsenobetaine in
shrimps (Lau et al., 1987; Friberg et al., 1986; WHO, 1981; Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries
and Food, 1982; Dabeka et al.,. ....http://www.inchem.org/documents/ehc/ehc/ehc224.htm

Although there is no compelling evidence that vitamin C has antitumor activity in humans, clinical trials are testing the hypothesis that ascorbic acid (AA) will enhance the efficacy of arsenic trioxide (As2O3) in myeloma.. ..... http://biblioteca.universia.net/html_bura/ficha/params/id/27134149.html
Feb 1, 2009 05:53
  • DODOY
never hear about it! But i know after we eating seafood we can't eat fruits!
Feb 3, 2009 03:31
  • KATRINA
But i know after we eating seafood we can't eat fruits!

Yes, you are right. Eating fruits after having seafood is bad for your digestion. It might cause dizziness, vomity, stomache and some other symptoms. To be more precise, you shouldn't eat grape, hawkthorn, persimmon and guava. If you really want to eat fruit, please wait for at leat for one hour.
Mar 28, 2009 04:08
GUEST46462 If you read the study the previous Guest wrote, they found vitamin C actually reduces the effect of arsenic. Last line reads...

"These results suggest that AA is not likely to increase the antineoplastic activity of arsenic but could provide protection to both normal and neoplastic cells."
Mar 28, 2009 10:51
  • JABAROOTOO
Bunch of old wives tales.

I have eaten seafood and especially prawns all my life and we garnish our seafood with lemon juice and often serve it with fruit and also eat fruit salad and icecream for dessert.

We could list a lot more dangerous chemicals that are consumed everyday but the dangers to our health are continually ignored!!!!!
Page 1 of 8    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Prawns + Vitamin C=Poison?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code