Menu
Adidas is very likely to gain the naming right of Bird Nest!
Feb 24, 2009 22:12
  • LEOPOLD219
It is reported that Adidas is very possible to gain the naming right of the National Stadium(Bird Nest). If Adidas succeeds, it will pay 70 million yuan per year. Currently, the relevant department hasn't given any response.

We all know that we need a lot of money to run the Bird Nest. Selling the naming right is a good way to raise money. But do you think it is a good idea to sell the naming right to a foreign sports corp?

Feb 25, 2009 03:59
  • JSUMMERS83
Sorry guys, but unless Adidas has a death wish for bankruptcy there's gonna be no purchase of the Bird's Nest name. Why?

1) Nobody is going to call it anything other than "The Bird's Nest" for as long as it stand. No matter what logo is splashed alongside it.

2) Nobody's even USING THE PLACE! All the birds have flown the coup in this nest. Plans are in place to make part of it a shopping center. Talk about disgraceful.

Adidas would better use that money to endorse more Chinese athletes. It's probably what they're going to do.
Feb 25, 2009 07:21
  • AL32
Woohaa! this is the first post I read here in a while and I just couldn't resist to sign in and reply to it...

This is quite some news to me; I mean not that much the part about Adidas' marketing thingy but rather about the possible and most likely faith of the famous Chinese Olympics monument: a shopping mall!!! Come on this is a joke right! ... and no it is not..I just did a quick search&read on this.

Chinese government can not use of its influence to force some sort of decent revenue making and more honorable use that to let this turn into a mall?!? At the very least, this could be a place for expositions, live concerts and populars events; a way of giving something back to the public [read tax payers] and a way of preserving an heritage for years to come... Afterall this is a monument; and that is something that a mall can't be in my mind...

OK, I read that the paint is already pealing of the structure on the outside and that "Maintenance of the structure alone costs about $8.8 million annually, making it difficult to turn a profit, Xinhua said", but still, 8.8 millions doesn't seem that much to get from a few good events every year. Why can't they find a good team of large-scale events organizers and put them in charge of the bookings... for a couple of years at least...

Again, turning this into a shopping mall would be hard a very hard pill to swallow...I mean, I would feel that someone somewhere has lost his face...
Hopefuly, I'm not the only one thinking like this...
Feb 27, 2009 03:28
  • ZOEY
After the Beijing Olympics, the Bird Nest has become one of the most popular tourist destinations in Beijing. Now the ticket is 50 RMB per person. Obviously, ticket income is too trivial. To maintain the Bird Nest, more money will be needed. That's why they decide to sell the naming right. Personally, I don't like this idea. The Bird Nest (National Stadium) is a symbol of China. It is improper to sell its naming right to a foreign corp.
Feb 27, 2009 21:10
  • JSUMMERS83
This is ridiculous...can anybody actually confirm that the naming rights are up for sale? Like, cite a source or something. I'll tell you right now I think it's hogwash. Not only is it "improper" to sell the rights, like I said before no company in their right mind would buy it.
Feb 28, 2009 04:16
  • AL32
I can: here's a link from an article about the future of the Bird's nest and the water cube from the Wall Street Journal (dating from this summer...but ?I doubt that this has been put on the ice since then..):

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121877016737643655.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Sad, sad thing...

I don't think that giant companies are ever "in there right mind" when comes to marketing: imagine just the big trophy that this will be for the winner having their name up there. And sadly, I doubt that this would bring a big wave of contreversy or protestation in China...
Jun 22, 2013 23:50
GUESTBRO I think it looks like a dove. Her tail looks a bit long for a dove but it may be that the nest is a bit small? A nice natural hiorsty lesson opportunity.
Post a Reply to: Adidas is very likely to gain the naming right of Bird Nest!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code