Menu
Driving from London to Bali
Apr 15, 2009 07:48
guest57102 My wife and I are looking to drive our Toyota RAV4 from London to Bali.

There are two issues we are struggling with:
- is it possible to drive our car through China without having to pay a ridicuous fee or forcibly take a guide on board?
- Does anyone know if it possible to drive a car into Indonesia?

Any general advice on dos and don'ts regarding driving in China, route to take and sights to see is also much appreciated!

Feel free to email me directly on mac.com|cweddepohl1.

Many thanks,

Coen Weddepohl
Apr 15, 2009 22:43
  • ELLYSE
I don't think Indonesia has land connections with any other country (except Papua New Guinea and East Timor) as it's an archipelago of islands.
Apr 15, 2009 23:22
  • APAULT
It is very difficult to bring a car into China and drive it here. You would also have to have a Chinese driving licence. Within the country you have to get prior permission to travel into different provinces and cities. Even cars fro HK and Macau are dual registered and other than these I have never seen a foreign car in over 3 years in China. There is little understanding in Chinese officialdom of what we might call adventure travel. Even the idea of foreigners staying in budget youth hostels is often met with surprise, why don't you wnat to stay in luxury hotels?
Apr 16, 2009 05:42
  • DODGER
There was a Rally a few years ago across China that was written up in Classic Cars, a UK
magazine. I think there was a doco on it as well.
Try given them a bell.
Dodge
Apr 17, 2009 08:06
  • JABAROOTOO
Was that the 100th Anniversary remake of the Peking to Paris Rally???
Apr 18, 2009 02:10
  • WANHU
Marking the Independence celebration in 2002, my friends took part but with their superbikes, from London to Malaysia, including using the silk road (China) then through Thailand. Passing through China they were allowed to use the China soil without having a Chinese driving licence. Anyway from Malaysia, you can go to Singapore, then Batam (Indonesia) then take ferry to Jakarta then to Bali. I've heard ferry Battam-Bali is not reliable and probably the service is discontinued.
Wan
Apr 22, 2009 04:22
  • KSWONG
I think the first thing you might want to do is get a World Atlas and study the continents and land mass.

2nd-ly your Rav4 is only a pseudo 4WD and may not survive the journey. And you might want to think about how to convert your car to float on water cos Bali is an island. :P
Apr 22, 2009 05:06
GUEST14134 sarcasm and patronizing behavior from strangers are very unattractive
Apr 23, 2009 00:14
  • DODGER
"Was that the 100th Anniversary remake of the Peking to Paris Rally??? "
Jab, I think it was.
Dodger.
May 1, 2009 07:01
GUESTGEODOOD Oi you retard you missed out Malaysia and Brunei !!
May 1, 2009 07:05
GUEST10233 Forget about china its too much hassle I suggest you go through India on to Bangladesh (optional) then to Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia then Singapore and then take a ferry to bali then enjoy your holiday
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Driving from London to Bali
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code