Menu
Wife's birthday gift ... ???
Apr 23, 2009 23:45
  • GRIZ326
I've been so busy working I have not had time to shop or even think about a creative gift for my wife on her birthday.

She is very interested in cooking ... but buying her a pot to cook in doesn't seem like much of a birthday gift. As a general rule I tend to be a thoughtful rather than fancy sort of gift giver.

Any ideas to get me started?

TIA...
Apr 23, 2009 23:52
  • WANHU
Why not some cook books?
Wan
Apr 23, 2009 23:56
  • GRIZ326
I probably should have mentioned that I got her a membership in a cookbook club when I realized that she loves to cook.

I'd love to get her some real Chinese cooking ingredients, but here in Montana, USA that's not easily accomplished...and unfortunately, I do not know the stuff to buy from the online stores without asking her.
Apr 24, 2009 01:04
  • DAVEC
I am sure someone here could help you out by posting some goodies from China. If you can wait then I can post some things for you when I am there in may/june. As long as its not fresh food it should be ok to send stuff. I usually post myself home things like spices and mushrooms.
Apr 24, 2009 01:33
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
Hi Steve!

Where in China is your wife from? ( I think I read somewhere that she was from Nanning?).
Last edited by DESTRUCKDOZ: Apr 24, 2009 01:34
Apr 24, 2009 02:32
  • DESTRUCKDOZ
This is just an idea I wanted to throw out in the air before I forgot about it. Perhaps she would like some Chinese vegetable seeds? I am guessing that the chances of finding some Chinese vegetables is quite hard in your area and Chinese people LOVE there preserved vegetables. Vegetables such as Chinese cabbage, daikon raddish and a few leafy greens that your wife could pickle from the many variations of "酸菜", the pickling ingredients are easy to find (rock salt or vinegar).

Also, If there was a #2 after the wok in a Chinese kitchen, it would be a Thai stacked steamer. I see a lot of people use there wok with a bamboo steamer on top, but it is quite dangerous depending on your cooking surface. A Thai stacked steamer has 2 tiers that you could cook 2 different dishes at once and best of all, it leaves your wok free to cook something else.

And If I were to choose 1 cooking ingredient over all others, it would be fermented black beans. Its good on pork, fish and even vegetables (well I love soy sauce, but some consider that a "condiment".
Apr 24, 2009 08:32
  • GRIZ326
Yes, Danny, my wife is from Nanning. Gardening is #2 to cooking, so seeds is a great idea except that we have a very short growing season in Montana and I haven't built the greenhouse yet. Still, I think she'd have a great time growing things she grew when she lived in the country. Dave, spices are a great idea; she brought over an entire suitcase filled with spices but is starting to run short. My gal's birthday is May 1st, so posting something from China has no hope of arriving it time because I procrastinated...but maybe I can make a connection now for future needs that are not birthday related.

Apr 25, 2009 03:25
  • DODGER
Griz, how far is the nearest China Town from you? They would have all of the ingredients that you need, or just maybe someone is running a mail order business in the States for this type of thing?
Dodger.
Apr 25, 2009 08:52
  • GRIZ326
It's a long way, Dodger. There are China towns in Spokane and Calgary which are about 250 miles away.

...and while I'm certain someone is selling Asian cooking supplies online, I haven't found them yet.
Apr 25, 2009 18:08
  • LARRYBOY
Maybe she might like one of those stores called "pampered Chef" we have them here in NJ or "Kitchen Capers" in your nearest shopping mall. Just a thought...LB
Apr 26, 2009 08:20
  • DODGER
Griz, 250 miles, that nothing. That only half way from Sydney to Brisbane..
But seriously, there must be a shed load of Chinese restaurant getting their spices from somewhere .Danny, pull your finger out mate and help.
Dodger.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Wife's birthday gift ... ???
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code