Menu
Criminal Background Check
Jan 19, 2010 09:33
  • APAULT
I am not convinced that you need to get the criminal record check (most nationalities). Start the application process and see what happens.

Jan 12, 2011 18:06
GUESTDIHNEKIS I'm curious about this. I have a single dismissed charge on my record, and I want to work in china. Will i be disqualified?
Feb 11, 2011 03:39
GUEST30203 For the guest who is worried about a conviction from 22 years ago showing up on a background check... don't. The check will only go back 10 years. So don't let a mistake that old hold you back!

Feb 13, 2011 07:17
GUEST12236 Never admit to anything on paper, Ever! Just mark "no"
Feb 13, 2011 10:35
  • APAULT
A dismissal is not a criminal record.
Feb 15, 2011 22:38
I am going to Taicang (an hour north of Shanghai) for a job interview next week.

It seems like everything is localized in China, I have read that southern China is more strict. Has anyone had any experience, or heard of any experiences with work/residence visas in the Jiangsu Province?
Mar 24, 2011 16:37
The temporary (6 month; 2 entry) visa went through fine after I checked no on my visa application.

Now I've accepted the offer by a foreign company operating in China and have begun collecting the employment and criminal records for the residence permit. I asked my co-worker about the criminal check and here's his response:

"- Get a criminal background check from your county or state that reports at least 10 years. Also need to insure that this looks professional with a stamp or seal or something because the Chinese like that."

So I am going to get a report from the current county I live in and this will not show previous convictions from other counties in my state... Wish me luck
Mar 25, 2011 11:52
  • APAULT
That sounds fine to me. You should have a 99% chance of no problem
Apr 11, 2011 00:45
GUEST82132 hello,

What was the outcome of your county check? Did it work?

Thanks,
C Nicholson

Sep 24, 2011 08:26
GUEST48978 Sorry, you are wrong. I had a DUI 12 years ago and it showed up on my background check. Anything you have ever been arrested for will show up, no matter how long ago it happened. However, you might be able to get an expungement from the state in which the crime occurred. You can even fill out the forms yourself if you do your research and only pay the fees associated with the filing. But, it could take up to 2 years to get a full expungement from all authorities, including the FBI. You'll just have to keep checking. They usually mail you the paperwork once everything is finished.

What you should be most concerned with is if they are going to fingerprint you at the airport and if so, does it mean that any and all criminal records will appear from the U.S. when they scan your fingerprints and passport.

As for schools, I was told by a recruiter a few days ago that if I had a criminal background check, that would be great, but if I didn't, it wasn't necessary, just advantageous (for China as a teacher).

I look at it this way, if you can get the expungement process rolling, DO IT by all means. Give yourself a piece of mind! If you want, try to go to teach in China without the record in a different province. You can always tell the recruiter, look I really want the job, but it's going to take me about 4 months right now to get an FBI background check, the best I can do is get a state level background check, will that be okay? OR, just get the state level background check and work until they ask for a clearance, when they ask, give them the state level and play dumb. Meanwhile, save your money while you are working. If worse comes to worse, it will take at least 4 months processing right now to get your report. Work for 4 months or more, save your money, then bail out. But if you've already paid for an expungement and started the process before you go to China to work, you'll already be 4 months into the expungement process. At best, maybe you can get another job or wait another 8 months, then it will all be wiped off of your record.

Just what I would do. ;-) Will do. ;-) OR Have done. ;-)

Hope this helps!
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Criminal Background Check
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code