Menu
Beauty or high morals?
Oct 29, 2009 02:05
  • HERBEAT
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT

I still don't understand the phrase "thank you for doing sth" What is "sth"?

Well, ok, sth is something...
By the way, I think the noodle one was effective, Bob. I went to eat northwest noodle yesterday noon
Last edited by HERBEAT: Oct 29, 2009 02:07
Oct 29, 2009 02:10
  • HERBEAT
There are not many bikes in Qingdao because the roads are too complicated but I like walking. Always do more than 1h of walking along the beach in the late afternoon and it's quite pleasant and enjoyable. By the way, I think 30min ride is a good practice, SUKUKI. ^-^
Oct 29, 2009 02:26
  • SUKUKI
That is 30min riding Motorcycle or driving a car. It would take me good couple of hours to travel that distance by a bicycle and believe me, riding at 5 or 6 am in the morning on bicycle is not very smart idea with lot of maniac driving around here in Canberra. Oh! the bus service don't start until way after my work start time so, that is also not practical.
Oct 29, 2009 02:44
  • HERBEAT
Well, that's a good thing of a big city...
Oct 29, 2009 02:56
  • SUKUKI
Quote:

Originally Posted by HERBEAT

Well, that's a good thing of a big city...

Thank you.. now, I'm waiting for Bob to jump in correct your english.. do you mean

"good thing about a big city?"

or

"good thing for a big city??"

either way, its not good.. having city that is very widely spread like this one really makes you depend on personal transport as public transport really is slow and very painful to get used to..
Oct 29, 2009 03:31
  • BOBERT
You will have a long wait SUKUKI.

I wish I could correct HERBEATs English but I have absolutely no idea what she means either.
Oct 29, 2009 04:50
  • SUKUKI
I think she is doing all right.. remember, english is her second language..(i think??)
Oct 29, 2009 05:40
  • BOBERT
I have tried to learn Chinese so I know how difficult it is to learn English. HERBEAT seems like a smart women and her English is excellent. All I was doing was trying to correct some of her more obvious errors to save her future embarrassment. When I was trying to learn Chinese I appreciated others doing the same for me.
Oct 29, 2009 06:37
  • SUKUKI
Like I said before, English is not my first language.. still learning..
Oct 29, 2009 21:16
  • HERBEAT
Bob, thank you for trying to help me with my English. As I said, I'm really very grateful to you. And any help is welcome and will always be. If you want any help in Chinese, I would like to help you since my Chinese is ok^-^

By the way, there were lots of embarrassment in the past, one recently in fact. When the Diamond Princess arrived, I was a guide for the guests. I don't know why but that day when I said years, I kept saying something like one thousand nine hundred and thirty... I knew how to say it more than ten years ago but still made the stupid mistake.

Another day when I had dinner with some of my English speaking friends, I tried to explain a dish on the table. Now I know it's Chinese yam but I forgot the word. So I tried to explain it like this... It contains lots of nutrients the same as tomato. It should be starch in potato but without thinking, I kept repeating tomato. All the friends from England, Canada, Sweden and America spent almost ten minutes to think the nutrition contains in tomato and they even gave the answer "seeds". After another ten minutes when we ate it, a Canadian asked, "hey, Yolanda, did you mean potao?" I told him that even from the very beginning I told all of you that it's potato. But they almost shouted "no, you kept repeating tomato all the time" at the same moment... That's embarrassing, VERY...

So once again, any correcting would be welcome. And thank you very much for helping^-^
Page 4 of 11    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Beauty or high morals?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code