Menu
What’s the relationship between Chinese Monkey King and Indian Hanuman?
Dec 19, 2009 00:33
Monkey King, also called Sun Wukong, is the main character in the classical Chinese novel Journey to the West. He accompanies the monk Xuanzang to retrieve Buddhist sutras from India. Sun Wukong protects Xuanzang from other evil spirits and monsters along the journey. Sun is very powerful to lift his Ru Yi Jin Gu Bang. He is also very fast, traveling 108,000 li (54,000 kilometers) in one somersault. Sun knows 72 transformations, which allows him to transform into various animals and objects. With his help, Xuanzang successfully retrieves Buddhist sutras and gets back to his country.

In India, there is also a special monkey. According to the Hinduism, he is called Hanuman, one of the most popular concepts of devotees of God. He is the 11th incarnation (Rudra avtar) of Lord Shiva, and is considered the most powerful and intelligent amongst Gods. His most famous feat, as described in the Ramayana, was leading an army of monkeys to fight the demon King Ravana.

Sun Wukong and Hanuman are monkeys. Ji Xianlin, a famous Chinese scholar, believes that Sun Wukong is the incarnation of Hanuman in China, which means that Sun Wukong might originate in India.

Do you believe this?

Hanuman in the picture.

Dec 19, 2009 00:51
Sun Wukong, Monkey King.

Dec 20, 2009 21:00
  • WANHU
Buddhism started by a Hindu prince
Wan
Dec 22, 2009 03:47
  • KEVIN0518
I don't know much about Buddhism and Hinduism but they do resemble each other. I am thinking if the author of the Journey to the West knew Hinduism.
Dec 23, 2009 03:50
  • CHERRY07
To be honest, I am just familiar with Sun Wukong and know nothing about Hanuman. Anyone can tell me something about Hanuman?
Jan 6, 2010 01:25
  • WANHU

The Malay Shadow Play usually depicted Hanuman as the key player in Ramayana. Hanuman is assigned to find Sita Devi, the wife of Lord Rama who was abducted by Ravana, the demon king. If you read the epic of Ramayana perhaps you can understand better.
Wan
Oct 16, 2010 06:39
GUEST24351 sun wukong is the incarnation of hindus god hanuman
Jan 8, 2011 18:48
GUEST20759 Yes, i think Monkey King is an incarnation of Hanuman, for sure.
Apr 6, 2011 13:08
GUEST96123 Hanuman and Sun wukong were one n the same.Hanuman was immortal.After his duties towards Lord Rama he went to the himalayas for a long meditation and after that he became more powerful and also childlike and mischevious monkey king.
May 13, 2011 02:37
GUEST61130 i don't know any thing about u at all so i am sorry and i have a question for u it is that why do we need the religion to live in the world and do u know that there were no religions at the time of the early man age and i think that is why they have lived there much more happly than the people who live now if u know the answer plz send to the email yahoo.com|appani_kiran i will be wating
Jun 18, 2011 09:55
GUESTVICLEE Nice to know chinese monkey god is an incarnation of lord hanuman
Page 1 of 11    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What’s the relationship between Chinese Monkey King and Indian Hanuman?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code