Menu
What’s the relationship between Chinese Monkey King and Indian Hanuman?
Sep 22, 2013 14:46
GUEST16670 While I think wukong and hanuman are related as in wukong was inspired by him I don't think there is a literal relation like guest quest. Its common for many religions to have similar gods or heroes. I.E. How Zues is like a combination of Odin and Thor and both Greeks and the Norse had a concept similar to the three fates. We don't need to draw literal ties between them to show they are related. just wanted to share my opinion
Sep 22, 2013 21:17
GUEST16670,

Wukong was created by Wu Cheng'en who was a novelist during the Ming Dynasty. Hanuman is the monkey god in the Ramayana (probably the most famous Indian epic). Some famous Chinese scholars including Hushi, Chen Yinque and Ji Xianlin, suspect that Wu Cheng’en must have read Ramayana when he wrote the Journey to the West.

In the Journey to the West, there is a chapter about Monkey King Making Havoc in Heaven. Accidentally, a similar chapter is found in the Ramayana. The Ramayana records a battle called Battle of Lanka. In the battle, Hanuman burnt down the Lankapura. What’s more, Wukong and Hanuman use the same weapon, a magic golden cudgel.

However, many Chinese people still believe that Wukong is “Made in China”. Lu Xun, another famous Chinese writer, says that Wukong is created according to Wu Zhiqi, a god of water in ancient Chinese mythology. Wu Zhiqi, surrendered to Yu the Great when Yu controlled the floods. Yu the Great was said to be a god who controlled the floods after 13 years hard work and finally built the Xia Dynasty. In the Journey to the West, Wukong’s magic golden cudgel was acquired from the palace of the Dragon King of the Eastern Sea. It’s said that the magic cudgel was once used by Yu the Great to control the floods.

Personally, I believe that Monkey King and Hanuman have similarities. Monkey King is probably created according to the Hanuman.
Feb 2, 2014 11:00
GUEST27236 I don't think there is any relation except appearance and Godhood.

However the major difference is that Wukong was a bad guy and became good AND God afterwards, Hanuman is good AND God all the time.
Feb 5, 2014 05:48
GUEST62104 Wukong and Hanuman are not the same character. Yes,Hanuman have lots of influence on Wukong,but they are both still different characters from different story.
Feb 9, 2014 23:44
GUEST24175 Most likely Hanuman and Sun Wukong are same as according to Ramayana and Mahabharat, Hanuman never left earth.
Feb 11, 2014 12:30
GUEST31160 Did you even read Journey to the West? Sun Wukong have totally different story line from Hanuman.

Beside,Wukong is much more well known around the world while Hanuman despite influence Wukong was overshadow by Sun Wukong.
Feb 11, 2014 21:17
GUEST15696 Hanuman is not Wukong.

Read this blog. The blogger explain some difference between those two such as their physical appearance and the way they fight.

http://viyanpoonamallee.com/2013/01/11/wukong-the-monkey-king-compared-with-hanuman-the-monkey-god/
Mar 1, 2014 13:06
GUESTDHEERAJ... yeah.. may be wukong is only hanuman because as per Hinduism hanuman never dies...and after completing of war with RAVANA and hanuman was in help with war of mahabharta .. may be so hanuman was only sun wukong ...
Mar 10, 2014 10:34
GUEST12522 actually Hanuman's best feat is that he ATE THE SUN when he was a little kid and this was BEFORE he got powers from Bramha, Indra, and other Devas(Gods)

I like both of them :)
Apr 18, 2014 00:23
GUEST36233 Indians like to think that they are the originals of everything.
Do they have an inferiority complex, I wonder ?
Page 3 of 11    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What’s the relationship between Chinese Monkey King and Indian Hanuman?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code