Menu
Have you ever heard of a (BTA) basic travel allowance?
Dec 22, 2009 00:45
guestDan I have a Chinese girlfriend that I met online. So far our relationship has consisted of chatting and talking on the phone. Skipping all the details, she was to fly to the USA a few days ago. She called me and said that Chinese Immigration officials would not allow her to board the plane because she did not meet the basic travel allowance as a fist time traveler abroad. She claims that they told her she needs a minimum of $3000 US either in her account or in hand. Does this sound right? I have fallen in love with this girl and I am usually a very good judge of peoples character. I find her to be smart, sweet and a bit innocent. Could I be wrong about her? Could this have been just an attempt to extort money from me all a long? Your opinions would be most welcome.

Dec 22, 2009 10:45
GUEST98131 I have never heard of this... but I would think it would be more of a problem entering the USA, not leaving China. My guess it would be required from US Border Agency as they want to ensure she has enough money to stay there for her holiday.
Dec 25, 2009 06:36
  • DAVEC
My Chinese lady came to UK to see me, she had to supply lots of info as did I for her to get her visa, without that info they wouldnt let her leave.
It showed she had money and job plus a job to return to, I had to prove I had enough money to support her for 6 months even though she was visiting for 2 weeks.

Basically all this was done weeks before as that was her visa application, I really cant believe that she got as far as boarding a plane before they said no. Sounds a bit odd to me.
Dec 25, 2009 21:23
  • WANHU
Sometimes they did ask during the checkin, it happened once to my Chinese niece.
Wan
Jan 18, 2010 20:32
GUEST42232 I have now a friend who is in China who arrived there last sunday and they had him keep on hold for they are asking for a BTA of $2500 as part of there procedure as they say.

Is this really so?
Jan 18, 2010 21:07
GUEST27238 Well it has not turned out good at all... I sent her the BTA and money for open tickets and money for the physical exam and for her parents...

Finally I got her to send me a photo copy of her visa and passport. Both documents looked good to me. I decided to attach the photo copy of her visa to an email and send it to the Consulate office in Guangzhou, China. They reported to me that her visa was a fake. I was so sure that what was going on between us was real. It still seems unbelievable that it apparently was not. This is a totally crazy question, does anyone think that the US Consulate Office might have lied to me because once I inquired they may have considered her visa out of category (visitors visa)?

Her pictures were taken in a typical Asian big city room/apartment. No fancy model pictures. She still claims that she never lied to me and that she got her visa from the Guangzhou Consulate Office.

Dan
Jan 19, 2010 04:22
  • WANHU
The info from US Consulate is official, with authority. You should have sent her e-tickets instead rather than money. Whatver, I hope it ends well.
Wan
Jan 19, 2010 20:28
GUEST27238 Yes Wan I know that... Thank You
Jan 19, 2010 20:40
  • ELLYSE
Same here, it's starting to sound like a scam but I hope it isn't, for the faith in humanity. Good luck!
Jan 19, 2010 20:58
GUEST27238 I am afraid it is a scam Ellyse... and I am with you, it hurts your faith in humanity. I talked to this girl on the phone regularly. I chatted with her twice a day. She seemed so genuine and like a wonderful caring person. I am literally in disbelief. I have met many people online. I travelled to Thailand and spent time with friends all of whom I met online. In some ways my experience worked against me in this matter. I really believed that I had met the girl of my dreams, my soul mate. Life goes on...
Jan 19, 2010 21:38
  • ELLYSE
Goodness, 3000 USD is a LOT of money in China! It would be enough for me to live for a year.
Page 1 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Have you ever heard of a (BTA) basic travel allowance?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code