Menu
Should we forbid to eat cats and dogs?
Jan 26, 2010 01:28
  • JIMMYB
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 22 vote(s)
  2. 8 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.
China is currently collecting the public opinions on the first Animal Protection Law. According to a professor who takes part in drafting the Animal Protection Law, they have received more than 300 emails and 400 phone calls in last four mouths. Most people’s opinions are objective. While some other people can’t accept “Animal Protection” and “Animal’s welfare”. They insist that the priority is to protect people’s welfare, not animal’s welfare.

Considering of this reason, the legal experts have decided to draft the Anti-Animal Abuse Law. According to this draft, those who eat cats and dogs will be fined 5000 RMB at most. In the meantime, they will be detained 1 to 15 days. Any organization that sells cats and dogs will be fined 10000 to 500000 RMB too.

Did you ever eat cats or dogs? Do you agree that we should establish a law to prevent people eating cats and dogs?
Jan 26, 2010 08:09
  • WANHU
Based on popular opinion, then later they will propose to ban eating of pork and beef.
Wan
Jan 26, 2010 11:54
  • ROALD
I've got a dog and would hate to see it get eaten. However, this is a matter of tradition and culture - Shall we give fines to the Aborigines for eating grubs or Scandinavians for eating mooses and deers for instance?
Jan 27, 2010 03:25
  • DODGER
There are laws in place in China for using seat belts in cars that everybody, including the police ignore.
I don’t see the point of enacting a law that will be ignored. They would be better off running an education program.
Dodger.
Jan 27, 2010 03:56
GUESTHAYDN D... what is the best way to prepare dog?
Jan 28, 2010 06:20
  • LEMONCACTUS
I don't think we should ban eating cats and dogs, but I do think, as with all animals, that they need to be raised, and killed in a humane way.
Jan 31, 2010 08:02
  • LARRYBOY
I agree with Wanhu, what next? For centuries people have been told "NO" on a lot of things not to do. Some things have improved,,, but on a whole,, nothing has really changed.
Feb 1, 2010 13:13
  • BWINKS
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROALD

I've got a dog and would hate to see it get eaten. However, this is a matter of tradition and culture - Shall we give fines to the Aborigines for eating grubs or Scandinavians for eating mooses and deers for instance?

I completely agree with Roald on this
Feb 1, 2010 13:23
  • BWINKS
Quote:

Originally Posted by DODGER

There are laws in place in China for using seat belts in cars that everybody, including the police ignore.
I don’t see the point of enacting a law that will be ignored. They would be better off running an education program.
Dodger.

Agreed. I've heard too much about the Chinese goverment outlawing things only to COMPLETELY ignore it.

Lemon, i gotta disagree. I think that whats more cruel than raising a dog/cat/pig/etc just to eat it, is raising it with compasion and humanely killing it. But thats just my personal opinion. I'd rather not eat a cow knowing it was someones pet and had a name... or that it was euthanized (probably would tast weird).
Feb 4, 2010 00:12
  • GRIZ326
I enjoy eating cat and dog. There is a difference between pets and livestock that seems to be lost in the western push to change China.

I eat the back straps of coyotes (canine) and the back strap & hindquarters of the cougars (feline) I shoot or get from hunters who do not eat cat and dog. I do not like to see game animals killed only for trophies or a hide.

Make no mistake, I would eat my dog were I struggling to survive. Eating dogs is not part of American culture. There are plenty of laws here to prosecute me for animal cruelty were I to raise dogs for food. Fortunately, I hunt deer, pronghorn (antelope), bear, cougar (when I get a license), birds, rabbit and fish for food so I have no need to raise dogs to eat. But over the years I've eaten groundhog, raccoon, opossum, goat, sheep, bison, coyote and squirrel that my hunting buddies and/or I have harvested. There is plenty of food available to hunters in Montana (and Pennsylvania before Montana).

If the Chinese People want to eat dog and cat, that's for the Chinese People to decide. If this proposal is the result of western influence, I'd suggest the Chinese People tell the western world to "go pound salt."

And please believe me when I say no one loves their dog or treats their dog any better than I treat my dog. She is my best friend. My dog Sammi is just as important in my family as my wife, my daughter and my step-daughter. ...but I'd still eat dog (or cat) when I travel overseas or whenever I shoot a coyote or get cougar meat.

China should do what China wants to do and ignore any pressure from more juvenile cultures.
Feb 4, 2010 03:25
  • JIMMYB
I won't eat cats and dogs. Just have been told that cats taste sour. Is this true? My family has raised three dogs so far. I love dogs and they are too kind and cute. So I won't eat them though they are said to be very good for people's health.

I can't help thinking of my first dog. He was a good boy. Unfortunately, he had an accident when my family built our new house. My father went to our new house with him. But he disappeared on the way. Then my father called his name and he heard. He ran fast toward my dad. Suddenly, a mini-van ran into him. At that moment, my dad just thought he was dead. He ran into him to see if he was alive. Luckily, he was alive but got hurt badly. Then my dad brought him to a pet hospital. The doctor saved his life but he lost one of his legs. From then on, he became a three-leg dog. He couldn't run as fast as before. But we didn't abandon him. He has lived more than 12 years in our family.

Now we have another cute dog. He is called "le le". Hope he will accompany my family as long as he can.
Page 1 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Should we forbid to eat cats and dogs?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code