Menu
Sunrise or sunset?
Dec 23, 2010 02:43
  • GAFFER
Lonely,
Sunrise and sunset photos change dramatically from when the sun is hidden to when it is in view. If there are clouds this can add even more drama. First let your camera take a shot on auto. Then, switch to manual and "bracket" the exposure reading. (Adjust the shutter speed to one (or more) settings above and one (or more) below what the camera thinks it should be). Take plenty of photos, it costs nothing on a digital camera. To get a good sky exposure any forground detail will be in silhouette (just black). Use this as part of your shot, perhaps framing. If you have Photoshop or Elements you can blend two photos taken at different exposures into one to give an even more spectacular effect. Use a tripod and the same f stop adjusting the shutter speed to maintain the same depth of field.
Last edited by GAFFER: Dec 23, 2010 02:45
Dec 23, 2010 03:01
Thank you very much, Gaffer.I am just learning to use my Nikon D90. It is much more complicated as I thought.

Regarding of shooting sunrise and sunset pictures, I have some questions. Hope you can help me with them, Gaffer.

No.1 Why should I use "auto" to take a picture first? I usually use "Aperture Priority" mode. Is it ok to shoot sunrise or sunset photos with "A" mode?

No.2 Adjust the shutter speed to one or more... Why? In this way, the camera can record more details?

I haven't had a tripod yet. Just got my camera less than two weeks.

Gaffer, I find it is hard for me to adjust exposure and white balance when I am shooting photos. Last night, I used D90 to shoot some photos in my bedroom. I shot with "A" mode and set white balance on "auto". Then I found that the color of my camera bag looked very weird. Then I tried "fluorescence" and anything changed.

How can I set accurate white balance on my camera?
Dec 23, 2010 10:30
  • GAFFER
Actually you can use any (semi) auto setting for the first shot just to get an average exposure setting. A Priority is fine. I suggested Auto because that is the one most people use when they get a new camera....some never try anything else :o)

Bracketing is necessary because in many situations you are asking the camera to take a photo which is beyond its capabilities. (latitude) So taking several exposures gives you a choice of the best compromise. Adjusting the shutter speed allows more or less light to reach the sensor in the same way as adjusting the aperture (f stops). But adjusting the f stop also affects the depth of field (the distance which is in focus)eg using F11 gives far more depth of focus than using F4. This is the reason for usually using Aperture Priority, you choose the F stop and let the camera adjust the shutter speed to suit. Changing the shutter speed keeps the focus the same. However, below a 30th sec will introduce camera shake, hence the need for a tripod. You can also increase the ISO setting (sensitivity) to maybe 1600, this in effect allows more light to reach the sensor (actually it makes the sensor more sensitive). Only do this when you need to as it introduces "noise" (speckles) into the picture. (ok for a sunset shot)

Our eyes/brain are so clever that we don't see that different light sources are different colours. Daylight is blue, tungsten light is orange, fluorescent yellow/green. Auto White Balance is ok in average conditions but if used indoors or outside in shadow it needs some help. You will have some preset levels, Tungsten (bulb) Fluorescent (strip) daylight, etc and manual. Using manual you need a white card or paper so the camera knows what is white. Point the camera at the card and set the white balance. This will remain set until you change it or turn off the camera.
Dec 24, 2010 01:23
  • CARLOS
I think Atta threw a great idea! Why don´t we all take sunrise and sunset photos of the last day of 2010 and put them here. It doesn´t matter if it is cloudy, the light can still be seen at least a little.

Today the day just came, no sun, but the light at the time of sunrise is remarkably different from now.

Carlos
Dec 25, 2010 21:12
  • JIMMYB
Dear Carlos,

Then we expect to see your photos of sunrise and sunset on the last day of 2010. See, I have seen some nice photos you have taken. Don't let me be disappointed.

Lonely, Get familiar with your camera as soon as possible. I am expecting more amazing pictures from you.
Dec 25, 2010 21:25
Gaffer, thank you very much for your detailed explaination. I think that I will buy a tripod very soon. I do not like using high ISO to take pictures. As you said, there wil be much noise on the pic when you increase ISO.

Some people who use Nikon D90 said that the maximum ISO setting at night was ISO 800. If you set ISO above 800, there will be too much noise. I understand that we can reduce the noise by using some software. But we may lose a lot of details in the picture.

A white card is very good. I think that I need one. Actually, my camera allows me to preset white balance and color temperature. But I am just a new hand and I do not know to set white balance and color temperature manually.

By the way, do you think it is necessary to equip a UV filter with my lens (Nikon 18-105 DX VR)?
Dec 25, 2010 22:50
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLOS

I think Atta threw a great idea! Why don´t we all take sunrise and sunset photos of the last day of 2010 and put them here. It doesn´t matter if it is cloudy, the light can still be seen at least a little.

Today the day just came, no sun, but the light at the time of sunrise is remarkably different from now.

Carlos

Interesting! Why not you can put yourself in this competition, welcome. Now we can expect two photos from two people each, to take sunrise and sunset photos for the last day of 2010.
Dec 26, 2010 03:29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATTA_BUTT

Interesting! Why not you can put yourself in this competition, welcome. Now we can expect two photos from two people each, to take sunrise and sunset photos for the last day of 2010.

What about you, Atta? You are the one who came up with this great idea. The competition will be non-interesting if you do not participate.

Do not tell me that you don't have a camera
Dec 26, 2010 07:02
  • ATTA_BUTT
Every day early in the morning I already enjoy the scene of sunrise when I went to my Job, and thinking about how much will beautiful the scene of the 2010 sunrise, when I will see the different countries photos through community.
Really I don't have camera. Sorry for that, otherwise I am interested to take picture by myself.
Dec 28, 2010 01:00
It's a pity, ATTA. I saw some amazing pictures in your profile page and thought they were all taken by yourself. It seems that you have been to some places in China. Who helped you shoot those pictures?

Or should you buy a camera to join me?
Page 7 of 11    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Sunrise or sunset?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code