Menu
Sunrise or sunset?
Dec 29, 2010 03:38
  • GAFFER
Lonely,
You would use high setting ISO only when there was no other alternative (like having no tripod). Even a slight graininess is better than an unsharp once in a lifetime photo.

UV filters were popular in the days of film as some were sensitive to UV light and gave a blue cast or haze. Digital cameras do not suffer this problem so that reason is no longer really valid. However, they can be a cheap way of protecting the front element of your lens, but remember, unless you buy an expensive high quality one, you are placing a relatively cheap piece of inferior glass in front of an expensive optic.
Last edited by GAFFER: Dec 29, 2010 03:39
Dec 29, 2010 03:45
Gaffer, thanks a million. I am considering of buying a UV filter in purpose of protecting my lens. You know I just got a D90 kit. The lens is 18-105 VR. It is not expensive, just worth around 1400 RMB if you buy it alone. However, it is said that the quality is fairly good. Currently, I have no plan to update my lens so I am trying to find a way to protect it.

And I have no extra money to buy an expensive high quality UV. Now I think I should give it up.
Dec 29, 2010 22:11
  • CHARLOTT
Lonely, how much did your camera cost? Here is a "warning" to you: 摄影穷三代. Ok, I'll translate it into English "If you are very crazy about photography and camera, you, your son and your grandson will be poor."

Why? The camera and lenses are toooo expensive.

Hope someone who speaks and writes good English can make a better translation.

Be careful, lonely.

Dec 30, 2010 03:10
  • GAFFER
Charlot,
I agree that people waste money buying expensive cameras thinking they will take better photographs. Whilst they can help, a good photographer should be able to take a good photograph on a cheap camera. Whereas a poor photographer would take even worse photos on an expensive camera.
Professionals need the best equipment available because what they produce might need to be made very large and quality is required to do this. Also professional equipment has a hard life being used every day and needs to last. However, for a modest outlay the amateur can have an interesting hobby recording his life, his family and the world around him and bring pleasure to many. Someone else might spend far more on drinking, gambling and womanizing and have little to show for it......ummmmmm who needs a camera? ;o)
Dec 30, 2010 03:19
  • CHERRY07
Who nees a camera?

I think I need a camera too. I do not smoke, drink or gamble. Maybe, I should buy one to record my life, ma family and the world around me, haha.
Dec 30, 2010 03:34
Gaffer, I am just an enthusiast about taking pictures, not cameras. Never dream of becoming a pro and just enjoy taking pictures. Some people have money to burn, buying luxurious stuff etc. I’ve done a lot of researches before getting my D90. I came up with this idea since April and bought it in December. See, I have been spending 8 months making this decision. And I think D90 can meet all my requirements. Now I am beginning to improve my skills. Wish I could make full use of it and take some nice photos.

Learning photography is interesting and I will keep it up.

Smoking, drinking, gambling and womanizing are not my hobbies. I’d rather save these money to buy a camera to take photos.

PS: My little sister took my Nikon P5100 away and she knew that I liked taking pictures. So she sponsored me some money to buy D90. Millions of thanks to her.
Dec 30, 2010 03:39
To Charlott,

The Nikon D90 Kit costs me 6999 yuan. It is not cheap, right? Thanks for your warning. I will focus on improving my skills.
Dec 30, 2010 03:44
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHERRY07

Who nees a camera?

I think I need a camera too. I do not smoke, drink or gamble. Maybe, I should buy one to record my life, ma family and the world around me, haha.

You can get one if you want. I saw some girls who use DSLR very well. Their photos are nice too.
Dec 30, 2010 12:49
  • ATTA_BUTT
I am not a professional therefore no need to buy camera.
Dec 31, 2010 04:15
  • GAFFER
Lonely,
For your next purchase (if you don't already have it) I would recommend Adobe Photoshop Elements. This is the modern photographers darkroom and can not only help fix mistakes made in the taking stage but can make a mediocre photo into a great one. Elements 9 will also handle RAW images should you wish to take this route.

Cherry, you don't need to spend a lot of money on a camera to take good photos. A compact with a few pre sets and a little understanding and thought about what makes a good photo is all you need.
Page 8 of 11    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Sunrise or sunset?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code