Menu
What do you think of awkward English translations at the tourist sites?
Dec 10, 2010 11:47
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by HERBEAT

Where are you Atta? I think in most big cities in China language exchange is quite popular and probably you could get some language exchange partner if you give it a try...

Hi!
I am in Pakistan and would like to exchange about language today some of Chinese friends contact me, now I shall get some about Chinese language.
Dec 13, 2010 20:07
  • HERBEAT
Oh, ok. I thought you were in China. But anyway, I think there are still lots of people who's willing to do the language exchange on the internet so I'm sure with patient, you could find some solution. And good to know that some contacted you already. Wish you could learn it fast and good luck:-)
Dec 14, 2010 20:21
GUESTAM Chinese students majoring in foreign languages such as English will be an asset to improving the quality or accuracy of signage in the English language. The standard may be 'awkward' now but this is China; so English or any foreign language in China is of secondary importance especially in regards to translations aimed at tourists. "Rome wasn't built in a day" - it takes time for China too to achieve progress. Today, China is a wonderful modern country with immensely talented Chinese people. My best wishes to the Chinese people.
Dec 15, 2010 01:07
  • HOIANVIETNAM
thank you for share it
Dec 17, 2010 03:04
  • APRILHEART7
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTAM View Post

Chinese students majoring in foreign languages such as English will be an asset to improving the quality or accuracy of signage in the English language. The standard may be 'awkward' now but this is China; so English or any foreign language in China is of secondary importance especially in regards to translations aimed at tourists. "Rome wasn't ...

How long will it take? another 5000 years?
Dec 18, 2010 15:26
  • APAULT
That last statement was incredibly negative and clearly from someone who knows little about China. How far has China come in 30 years???

Furthermore it is poised to be THE international superpower, in a decade or so, with or without good English translations
Dec 20, 2010 02:02
  • HERBEAT
Well, I'm not here to put the judgement but is there anyone knows how many Chinese don't even have the chance to go to school? I think it would take ages...
Dec 26, 2010 08:33
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by HERBEAT

Oh, ok. I thought you were in China. But anyway, I think there are still lots of people who's willing to do the language exchange on the Internet so I'm sure with patient, you could find some solution. And good to know that some contacted you already. Wish you could learn it fast and good luck:-)

There are some Chinese girls, are interested to share English language but I couldn't found Chinese language exchanger.
Dec 26, 2010 20:32
  • HERBEAT
That's weird... Normally you could do half English half Chinese... i.e. you talk in Chinese for half of the time and then English half of the time... I always make the Chinese half the full time. To me I don't think I would need any English language exchange but to hear foreigners speaking Chinese is really funny. And I don't mind spending time with them if the people are nice:-)
Dec 27, 2010 12:15
I think there is a simple answer to to this problem and that is for English
speaking people to buy a Chinese to English and English pocket translator.
Cost about $ 130.00 with battery triple A
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What do you think of awkward English translations at the tourist sites?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code