Menu
How to become a full chinese citizen
Jan 25, 2011 04:30
GUESTJONA hello.. i am a Filipino married to a Chinese citizen here in China. My son is born in the Philippines and holding a Philippine passport. From the comments, I've learned that i cannot have a dual citizenship but i would like to ask about my son. It was said that he is already a Chinese citizen because his father is a Chinese. But he still needs to apply for the Chinese citizenship. What are the requirements if i will apply for his Chinese citizenship? Your help is truly appreciated. (i cannot open the websitehttp://www.chinaembassy-fi.org/eng/lsfw/t415689.html) thank you so much..
Mar 1, 2011 09:16
GUEST44104 The ins and outs of Chinese citizenship is outlined in China’s Nationality Law, adopted by the National People’s Congress on September 10, 1980. The Law includes 18 Articles that broadly explain China’s citizenship policies including:
* China is a unitary multinational state: All nationalities (ethnic minorities) that exist within China have Chinese citizenship. (Article 2)

* China does not allow dual citizenship (Article 3)

* A person born in China to at least one parent who is a Chinese national is a Chinese citizen. (Article 4)

* A person born outside of China to at least one parent who is a Chinese national is a Chinese citizen -- unless one parent has settled outside of China and has acquired foreign nationality status. (Article 5)

* A person born in China to stateless parents or parents of uncertain nationality who have settled in China will have Chinese citizenship. (Article 6)

* A Chinese national who voluntarily becomes a foreign national in another country will lose Chinese citizenship. (Article 9)

* Chinese nationals can renounce their Chinese citizenship through an application process provided have settled abroad, have close relatives that are foreign nationals, or have other legitimate reasons. (Article 10)

* State officials and active military personnel cannot renounce their Chinese nationality. (Article 12)

* Those who once held Chinese nationality but are currently foreign nationals can apply to restore Chinese citizenship and renounce their foreign citizenship if there are legitimate reasons. (Article 13)

How Foreigners can Become Chinese Citizens:

Article 7 of the Nationality Law states that foreigners who will abide by the Chinese Constitution and laws can apply to be naturalized as Chinese citizens if they meet one of the following conditions:

1. They have close relatives who are Chinese nationals.

2. They have settled in China

3. They have other legitimate reasons.

In China, local Public Security Bureaus will accept applications for citizenship. If applicants are abroad, citizenship applications are handled at Chinese embassies and consular offices. After they are submitted, the Ministry of Public Security will examine and approve or dismiss applications. If approved, it will issue a certificate of citizenship.

Mar 4, 2011 06:52
  • APAULT
But foreigners who do not have a Chinese parent should not expect to get citizenship based on Article 7: it is the view of most foreigners that citizenship is rarely granted. The only people who get it have invested large millions or done some special service for the nation. From all I've heard, most people shouldn't waste their time trying.

BUT I would love to be contradicted by people who have gained citizenship for no more reason than being married to a citizen and working as a teacher., for example.
Apr 3, 2011 05:12
GUESTBEILEI hello everyone, this is Beilei Li from Changsha, China. I'm offended and annoyed to see this message and to find my photo here. Michael is not my fiance at all. We have contacted few times a long time ago and I have never made any promise to him before.

hello Michael, i think there must be some misunderstanding between us. wish you good luck to find your dream girl. Please do me a favor to delete my photo. thank you
Aug 15, 2011 16:27
GUEST92158 hi i m a student in china i want to become a permenant citizen of china. m from pakistan. i m studying here m.b.b.s and want to continue my life as a doctor in china... soo i want to knw ur opinion
thnx
kinza
Dec 30, 2011 22:30
GUEST83672 Michael,

I am interested to know if you ever made it over to China to marry your fiancee Beilei? Also where did you meet her, through school, dating service, on-line?

Apr 22, 2012 23:23
GUEST37141
Quote:

Originally Posted by JOHNNASH View Post

It's true that it is impossible for you to become Chinese citizen even though you give up your US nationality and married a Chinese girl. It is also very very difficult to apply for China Permanent Residence

My advise is remain your US nationality, after marriage, you can apply for a long-term Chinese Tourist Visa for family ...

It's been 2 years . are you chinese now?
Jun 11, 2012 23:21
GUEST10144 you might want to try xie xie that is the correct Chinese spelling for thank you
Nov 1, 2012 19:58
GUEST13286 michael i am in the same situation as you are in. my fiance is also in china and i need to get to her. im unsure how we do this but try the advice that these people have said. im going to talk to my fiance too. some of thier ideas have made sense and i have not tried them yet. my fiance is Xi'an china. see you on the otherside my friend
Nov 6, 2012 19:15
GUESTMARL HI!

Im a Filipino and married to Chinese national.Im pregnant and I want my child to adopt the Chinese citizenship but I will stay in Philippines to born my baby.How to get a chinese visa if i stay in Philippines?

Thank you
Page 2 of 4    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to become a full chinese citizen
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code