Menu
Question about China
Apr 8, 2005 13:14
  • EYKI630
haha..good question.

well i donno.im not livin in China,but im seeing the same question as u.
Apr 8, 2005 20:34
  • ELCABRON
Hi Losang, thanks for your help.
I already did and Icyspring gave me the address of the webside of the Qinghai Tour. In 2004 it took 9 days, with a distance of 1291km. The Swiss Phonak Team participated as the only ProTour Team or GS-I Team with their substitute drivers. The other teams were GS-II or lower. The problem is that at the same time the Tour de France takes place with three weeks of racing and over 3000km, where all the GS-I Teams send their top riders. If Qinghai would start a month earlier or later there would be more GS-I Teams I guess.
But Qinghai is a great race and it offers everything to become a big race in the future next to the four big European Tours (Tour de France, Giro dItalia, Vuelta de Espana, Tour de Swiss). It is already rated as the biggest race in Asia....I would like to watch it on tv. Is it shown on CCTV International?

But I could not find the new track of the race for 2005.

Here is a picture of crazy cycling fans during the Tour de France in 2003.

Apr 8, 2005 21:16
  • ELCABRON
Interesting read on the street.
There are normal greetings, encouraging the riders or sometimes political statements like this....
Whatever they write, it is shown on tv:-)

Apr 8, 2005 21:22
  • ELCABRON
here it is:

Apr 8, 2005 21:38
  • ICYSPRING
cool!
and another

Apr 11, 2005 04:52
  • ELCABRON
Your pic shows Lance Armstrong in the yellow leaderjersey climbing up the mountain time trial during the Tour of 2004 at lAlpe dHuez.
He won the stage and the Tour...for the sixth time.

Here is the plan for 2005:

Jul 18, 2005 16:16
  • JACOB21
Hi,

I see the discussion you had a fwe months ago about race
cycling in China. Some-one put up the idea of starting a new
cycling club.

That's just what I'm looking for. A few people how I can join or
who would like to join me for some race cycling.

Anyone interresed? Please send an e-mail to: mac.com|jacob21
(English or Dutch)
Jul 21, 2005 01:59
  • JABAROOTOO
Check out the Olympic medal tally in cyling. You'll find China ranked pretty high along with Austalia. I was also amused that for a country with so many bikes, very few actually ride for leasure. Pleasure and physical leisure activities are quite a new phenominum for most Chinese after so many years in survival mode. I'm sure we'll see more young people taking up the sport as time goes by. but where to ride safely is of course the biggest dilemma. Interestingly I have seen a few serious cyclists in CQ lately.
Jul 21, 2005 18:23
  • ELCABRON
Well, there are only two gold medals for street cycling: Time trial and one road race (which went to Italy and USA for men and Netherlands and Germany or Australia for women)

All those medals you mean are indoor cycling on a little oval course of maybe less than 500 meters. There are plenty medals for stuff like 1000m sprints, team sprints, ...very boring;-) Except the Japanese Kirin, that can be tough!

Yes, Ive seen some very big Chinese female riders for indoor cycling. But Im talking about street cycling. The real cycling sport;-)

Chongqing is made for cycling! Going up and down NanShan would have a few km of climbing. Or Lions Peak in BeiBei of Chongqing has some longer steep climbs.... - maybe next time I can give it a try!
In Hong Kong I know some people do triathlon where cycling is part of the game, but Hong Kong is not typical for China.
Jul 22, 2005 23:43
  • JABAROOTOO
OOPs, Apologies for my apparent and yes real ignorance when it comes to cycling. I am aware though that Australia does very well in cyling medals but as you reminded me it is track cylcing and I realize now why I made this reference albiet incorrectly. For a lesson shortly after the Olympics I had a look at the sports that both Australia and China both did well at and then looked at sports one would expect them to do well at but actually performed badly. Cycling was one of these and last September was a long time ago.
Did you see the news this week about the 6 Aussie cyclists who got collected in Germany by a young inexpereinced driver while they were on a training ride. One killed and two critical. Even in Germany it's a dangerous sport. I understand why they choose Qinghai as the location to the Tour de 'China'. At least there is less traffic and a chance of controlling it easily if necessary but cannot understand why they pitch it callender wise against the Tour de France? By the way do/did you live in CQ for some time? You seem to know it pretty well too.
Cheers
Page 3 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Question about China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code