Menu
Foreigners: do you like century eggs?
Jul 12, 2012 21:47
GUEST62139 I love to eat it like that haha but I really love when cook with normal eggs and the white eggs (salted egg) chop and stir and then steam it. Yum yum!! It's call steamed egg.
Jul 13, 2012 05:32
  • WANHU
I read reports that century eggs in China sometimes have high content of mercury. So I will only go to the shop that I'm familiar with.
Wan
Jul 14, 2012 22:24
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Originally Posted by WANHU

I read reports that century eggs in China sometimes have high content of mercury. So I will only go to the shop that I'm familiar with.
Wan

Mercury? Never heard that century eggs contain mercury. Some reports just said that eating many century eggs may lead to lead poisoning. What's more, there are some sources that claim horse urine is used to make century eggs.
Jul 19, 2012 01:22
  • WANHU
In Malaysia we have local century eggs, boiled for hours with certain herbs and plants. But I can do without, and prefer ordinary egg.
Wan
Jul 19, 2012 01:59
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

In Malaysia we have local century eggs, boiled for hours with certain herbs and plants. But I can do without, and prefer ordinary egg.
Wan

Wow, it is similar to Chinese spiced boiled egg with tea leaves. In China, eggs are boiled with tea leaves while you boil them with herbs and plants. How does it taste? Chinese spiced boiled egg with tea leaves tastes very good.
Jul 21, 2012 13:48
  • WANHU
It tastes wonderful for those who like it. It's so delicate to make such an egg; you need to put among others are galangal leaf, kaffir lime leaf, bay leaf, mangosteen leaf, etc.
Wan
Jul 22, 2012 21:27
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

It tastes wonderful for those who like it. It's so delicate to make such an egg; you need to put among others are galangal leaf, kaffir lime leaf, bay leaf, mangosteen leaf, etc.
Wan

It sounds good. But I am not sure if I can find all ingredients to make such wonderful eggs. Wan, you may taste some authentic Chinese boiled eggs with tea leaves.
Jul 23, 2012 09:25
  • WANHU
Sunnydream, only tea leaves or have other ingredients?
Wan
Jul 24, 2012 22:50
  • SUNNYDREAM
Quote:

Sunnydream, only tea leaves or have other ingredients?
Wan

No, there are some other kinds of ingredients including soy sauce, star anise, salt and Chinese prickly ash seeds. But there are many peddlers who sell fake Cha Ye Dan. Their eggs do not smell fragrant.

To make Cha Ye Dan, you'd better use black tea.
Jul 28, 2012 12:28
  • WANHU
If strictly with tea leaves, I don't mind to try but as you may understand, in business everything is possible in China and I always worry about other additives.
Wan
Page 4 of 5    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Foreigners: do you like century eggs?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code